looking for your local history on Irish Land Leagues

Mikki Maddox (mmaddox@necedahschools.org)
Wed, 6 Apr 2022 23:35:01 -0500

From: Mikki Maddox <mmaddox@necedahschools.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 23:35:01 -0500
Subject: looking for your local history on Irish Land Leagues

Hi there,

I am working on some lesson plan ideas and thinking about putting together a lesson on the Irish Land Leagues in Wisconsin. I got the idea from reading the newspaper for the community of the school district I work in and found that in the late 1880s, many Irish-Americans raised money in their communities to send back to Ireland to help fellow Irish pay land debts they had to English landowners so they were not kicked off their land. Here is the Wikipedia link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_National_Land_League

I have several newspaper notes from about 1882 about having dances and selling food and other activities that people in the community did to raise money to send to Ireland for the Land League.

Do any of you all have primary source documents related to Land League groups in your communities? Let me know if you have something you have uncovered in your local archives.

Thanks,

Mikki Maddox

--
Mikki Maddox
Social Studies/English Teacher

*“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has. *

Margaret Mead