Re: Dress Codes for Faculty???

Kate Hale (halecl@uwec.edu)
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:02:15 -0600

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:02:15 -0600
Subject: FW: Dress Codes for Faculty???
From: Kate Hale <halecl@uwec.edu>

Marcie meant this to go to the whole group, so I'm forwarding it.

DRESS CODE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Like, what kind of dress code?

Kate
------ Forwarded Message From: "Bakker, Marcie" <MBAKKER@cvtc.edu> Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:23:17 -0600 To: Kate Hale <halecl@uwec.edu> Subject: RE: Liberal Arts/Politcal Liberalism

I teach at CVTC, the "hotbed" of liberalism (tongue-in-cheek)! Next week at the Executive Cabinet meeting (our school's weekly meeting of all administrators), the HR Director is introducing a 'dress code' for the staff here. Has anyone heard of such a thing at a public college? I'd seriously be interested in your responses.

Thanks,

Marcie Bakker

From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Kate Hale Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 2:37 PM To: Preston, Elizabeth; EC Justice Subject: Liberal Arts/Politcal Liberalism

One instructive exercise: look up "liberal" in the Oxford English Dictionary and note how both positive & negative connotations are woven into the differing definitions.

I want to clarify that I am not thinking the UWS group should back off from the word "liberal" in either phrase (l. arts, l. education). My point is simply that those we hope to reach already have, for the most part, a conception of the word. In speaking about the role of the liberal arts, or of a liberal education, we will need to be alert to how those to whom we speak "hear" the word.

Some in the UWS group want to avoid "liberal arts," hearing it as a discipline-based term. I understand that, but I also think it is less likely than "liberal education" to rile up the citizenry. Not that they oughtn't be riled up from time-to-time.

My own experience was that a liberal arts education did liberalize both my theology and my politics. Maybe that speaks to Dan's point in his earlier post . . . . What do others think? Is that kind of liberalization a natural outgrowth of studying the liberal arts? I should add that I took my B.A. from a small, private church-support LA college-which was decidedly not politically or theologically liberal. So it was not that my professors had a "liberal agenda"--I would argue that it was something inherent in the studies themselves.

I'd love to hear more if people are interested in continuing this, or we can take it to private email if others would prefer. It is a busy time of the semester.

Thanks-- Kate Hale English

------ End of Forwarded Message