Fw: Stand up and Reaffirm the World's Peace Mandate on January 20th

Hale, C. Kate (HALECL@uwec.edu)
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:06:19 -0600

Subject: Fw: Stand up and Reaffirm the World's Peace Mandate on January 20th
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:06:19 -0600
From: "Hale, C. Kate" <HALECL@uwec.edu>

Via the Women in Black listserve (so some of you will have already seen this) . . . some good ideas from the Code Pink group.

OK, I admit that--sartorially speaking--I much prefer black to pink <g>, so I leave it to those who love the brighter hues to take care of that particular option on January 20th.

In Solidarity, whatever you're wearing--

Kate

C. Kate Hale, Ph.D. UWEC Dept. of English Office: 617 Hibbard Hall 715-836-2761 halecl@uwec.edu

-----Original Message----- From: Betty Wolcott [mailto:bwolcottosf@triwest.net] Sent: Thu 13-Jan-05 4:51 AM To: eauclairewib@yahoogroups.com Subject: [eauclairewib] Fw: Stand up and Reaffirm the World's Peace Mandate on January 20th
  Some other good ideas for the 20th--wouldn't you love to see all that pink in D.C.! Betty
----- Original Message ----- From: CODEPINK To: Betty Wolcott Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 7:45 PM Subject: Stand up and Reaffirm the World's Peace Mandate on January 20th

Dear Betty,

Before the invasion of Iraq, countless millions of us across the globe came together and spoke out like never before, stating in no uncertain terms our collective mandate for peace, justice, and a rational foreign policy.

On Thursday, January 20, as George W. Bush is inaugurated for a second term, he will no doubt use the day to usher in his 'mandate' for never-ending war, greed, and a bullying, unilateral foreign policy.

Warmongering leaders have never kept us down, and the next four years will be no exception. Make January 20th the day you stand up, speak out, and reaffirm your commitment to working for peace and justice. Show your friends, neighbors, and the world that you aren't in mourning, but rather part of an energized, mobilized and determined anti-war movement.

Count me in. What can I do?

CODEPINK strongly urges everyone who possibly can to run, swim, fly, caravan, shuttle, or two-step your way to Washington, DC on January 20th with a suitcase full of pink to join what promises to be the fun, raucous, peace-loving counter-inaugural activities. As the warmongers party on the inside, outside we're going to fill the streets of DC with peacemongers as far as the eye can see! (Check out www.codepinkalert.org/National_Actions_J20.shtml#calendar to see the creative actions we'll be participating in.)
  Can't go to DC? As the saying goes, "Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Here are some ideas:

1) Get thee to the protest nearest you and make some serious noise! There is no shortage of folks speaking out against the Bush agenda on the 20th. Protests and rallies are being planned all over the country. Check out unitedforpeace.org to find what's happening near you, or organize something yourself. Organize? Are you kidding? All you need to make an effective statement is a sign or two, a public place, a couple of friends, and the desire to speak out in opposition to the Bush agenda. Presto; you've organized your first protest. Email us at webmistress@codepinkalert.org so we can be sure to help you get the word out about your event, large or small, on our website.
  2) Before you protest, pick up the phone. On the 20th, let's not only flood the streets, but the White House phone lines with our unified message: no endless war and occupation. Call the White House directly and demand a clear exit strategy at 202-456-1111.

3) Not One Damn Dime. It's important to put your money where your protest signs are and shop your values everyday. But on January 20th, CODEPINK is joining people throughout the country who aren't putting their money anywhere. "Not One Damn Dime" Day is a way for those who oppose what is happening in our name in Iraq to speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all forms of consumer spending. So on Inauguration Day, don't spend any money. Not one damn dime for gasoline. Not one damn dime for coffee, or for impulse purchases. Nothing for 24 hours.

4.) Be visible in your community. At the very least, wear a button or a t-shirt, carry a sign to and from work, put a sign in the windows of your home and car - anything to let your community know what you think about four more years of George W. Bush. You never know how something as seemingly simple as a button can encourage or inspire someone else to action. Some ideas: "Not My President." "I Say No to the Bush Agenda." "Another Peacemaker in It for the Long Haul."

5.) Start planning your Sorry State of the Union party to coincide with George Bush's State of the Union Address on February 2nd. This is a great way to get together with your community, get riled up, and start organizing for the coming year. Email webmistress@codepinkalert.org to have your event posted on the website.

See you in the streets, Andrea, Carol, Claire, Dana, Gael, Jodie, Medea, Tiffany January 12, 2005 www.codepinkalert.org

To unsubscribe from this mailing, please click here