Re: Feb 12 Peace Rally and Future Events

Preston, Elizabeth (PRESTOE@uwec.edu)
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:34:02 -0600

Subject: FW: Feb 12 Peace Rally and Future Events
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:34:02 -0600
From: "Preston, Elizabeth" <PRESTOE@uwec.edu>

2005 Greetings,
  The Eau Claire Peace Coalition thanks you all again for your wonderful responses to coalition efforts in November and December. We will be meeting to discuss our short- and long-term goals on Saturday, February 5, 10:00 am. (More info about that meeting at the bottom of this message)
  We wish to resume simple pr-Peace/anti-War visibility efforts immediately. We are planning a Valentine's Day Themed Peace Rally for Saturday, February 12, from 4:00-5:00 pm on the corner of 53/Brackett. Our biggest rally before break had 78 people--everyone, try to come, and everyone, please bring one friend! Let's have a huge crowd! Make posters that utilize Valentine's Day and Love!
  We have also been discussing upcoming events. Harriet Allen and I both attended the Draft Counselling Workshop sponsored by the Eau Claire Friends, and it was fantastic. We would like to share some of our knowledge, perhaps during the teach-in sponsored by SFPJ. (I can only attend the SFPJ Jan 31 meeting between 5:25-5:45, as I teach until 5 and again at 6)
  We want to know how we can be involved with the March 20 events. We are considering hosting a session, somewhere, on torture--but we need speakers, perhaps someone who can do power-point, and other ideas.
  Thanks to Lori Chilefone's suggestion, we hope to host a Big May Day Event! May Day is also WorldMessageDay, and we would like to do something open to the public that works around traditional May Day ideas--ie, making May Day Baskets and filling them with flowers, candy, and notes for our neighbors, here and abroad, again demonstrating neighborliness (is that a word?) and promoting the messages of peace and justice that we want delivered to our local, state, federal, and international neighbors and leaders.
  But none of this can occur without your participation and help! I
  1. f you can help us pull together a bunch of people for Feb 12, let me know asap that you are planning to attend and how many people you think your group will bring to the rally. (We somewhat apologize that this is not a new and novel idea, but we also feel regular rallies remain critical to our success.)
  2. If we can contribute info at the teach-in, please let us know.
  3. If you have ideas about a session on torture--location, speakers, presenters--please offer to help!
  4. If you wish to help organize the May Day event, for which we will need a strong committee to deal with securing a location, publicity, creativity, etc, please let me know asap!
  5. Join us on Saturday, Feb 5, 10:00 am to discuss these and other ideas. The meeting is at my house--921 Cameron Trail (between Cameron, Vine, 9th, 11th). **Did I mention we NEED HELP? We are barely an organization; we have no formal structure etc etc etc--Call or email if you will join us:
  prestoe@uwec.edu 830.0425
  Please forward this information to all relevant organizations and individuals.
  Thanks, and peace, Elizabeth