Access to Education rally

Richmond, Rick (rrichmon@uwec.edu)
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:55:04 -0600

Subject: Access to Education rally
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:55:04 -0600
From: "Richmond, Rick" <rrichmon@uwec.edu>

Students throughout the UW system are organizing around the issue of access to higher education. There will be regional publicity (at UWEC on Wednesday, 2/9) and a rally at the State Capitol on Thursday, 2/24.

________________________________

WHAT: "Keep the UW Doors Open to All" Campus Tour

Tuition increases and dwindling financial aid are literally closing our campus doors to students who cannot afford to attend college. To illustrate this, students around the state will sign actual wooden doors to be delivered to key legislators after the student rally in Madison on Thursday, February 24.

WHEN & WHERE: When we come to your campus our primary goal is to work with you to have as many students sign the door(s) as possible. Due to a number of constraints we can only be on your campus at the date and time specified below:
... Wednesday, Feb. 9: Eau Claire 1:30 - 3:30pm
... MEDIA: We will send out a news advisory to various media outlets to publicize when we will be on UW campuses. We encourage you to add student speakers and make it into a larger press event. With various media and legislative reports swirling around restructuring the UW System, it's crucial that we return the focus back on students with a unified media message. Whoever speaks needs be "on message" to eliminate sending mixed signals to the public and legislators. We are willing to work with speakers to ensure the students' message resonates beyond our campuses and across the state.

MATERIALS: We will bring pens to write on the doors and hand-outs requesting students to take specific action. So far we have a limited number of doors and encourage students to donate a door for their respective campus. Ideal doors are pre-hung finished with a hallow core
(your typical wood door). They must be safe to handle-no glass and no steel. It would be awesome if each campus could have their own door to deliver on Thursday, February 24. Contact us if you have any questions on doors or that your campus will have a door when we arrive.

CONTACT: Brian Tanner, Organizing & Communications Director, United Council Phone: 608-263-3422 Email: btanner@unitedcouncil.net

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ From United Council of UW Students:

Welcome back, hope you had a pleasant break from the academic rigors. It appears students will be asked to pay even more in tuition and fees for significantly fewer educational services when the state budget is released on February 8th. We must act.

 WHAT: Students' Rally to "SAVE OUR SYSTEM" and Lobby Day!!

It's time our elected officials see, feel, and hear us on how skyrocketing tuition and slashing campus funding affects us. Only our collective voice can end the Capitol rhetoric that students aren't vocal about their costs and experiences on UW campuses. After the rally, students will be lobbying elected officials to ensure affordable tuition, meaningful financial aid and a quality UW education.

WHERE: Wisconsin Capitol, State Street Corner, Madison, Wisconsin

WHEN: Thursday, February 24, 2005, 12:00pm

Students are encouraged to visit the United Council office before 11:30am for free pastries, coffee and juice. The United Council office is located at 14 West Mifflin Street, Suite 212 (directly across the street from the Capitol) Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

WHO: You and students across the state! United Council of UW Students is your state student association with 145,000 students on 23 UW campuses. We are a non-partisan, non-profit, student-driven organization committed to enhancing the quality of student life and maintaining access for all to higher education.

 LOBBY VISITS: You or the United Council Legislative Director can schedule meetings with legislators for your campus delegation. Please let our Legislative Director know how you plan to schedule legislative meetings by Wednesday, February 2 at meetings by Wednesday, February 2 at legislative@unitedcouncil.net. An optional lobbying training will occur after the rally for interested students and campuses.

 TRANSPORTATION: Students are responsible for securing appropriate transportation for their campus delegation. We have reserved parking ONLY for transit buses (i.e. big yellow school buses.) We encourage campuses to "buspool" with each other (e.g. UW- Marshfield, Marathon County and Stevens Point to coordinate one or more buses for their delegations.) If your campus needs contacts to coordinate transportation between campuses please contact us.

CONTACT: Brian Tanner or any United Council staff member Phone: 608-263-3422 Email: btanner@unitedcouncil.net

Remember to contact your professors now to notify them of any absence(s) from class(es) on Thursday, Feb. 24.