On a related topic: Ward Churchill at Whitewater

Kate Hale (halecl@uwec.edu)
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:39:25 -0600

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:39:25 -0600
Subject: On a related topic: Ward Churchill at Whitewater
From: Kate Hale <halecl@uwec.edu>

I pulled this from the Leader-Telegram online. Note particularly paragraph s 8 & following‹these are our state legislators (well, ok, not Eau Claireıs)
(but imagine Dave Zienıs likely response if it were us and not UW Whitewater). Iıve been wondering whether there oughtnıt to be some responses from the other campuses on this . . .

Vis a vis the teach-in: I know Rick Richmond has been tracking academic freedom issues on the SFPJ website. Perhaps Robert Jensen would be a good keynoter for the teach-in (or John Nichols again). And I (itıs probably obvious by now) DO think Karenıs suggestion is an excellent one.

Kate Hale English

http://www.leadertelegram.com/story.asp?id=52240

Speaker cleared for university talk Embattled Colorado professor to lecture at UW-Whitewater

 The Associated Press

 MADISON (AP) ‹ A Colorado professor who likened Sept. 11 victims to Nazis will be allowed to speak at UW-Whitewater next month, a decision the chancellor said was repugnant but necessary under First Amendment principle s of free speech.

 The decision Thursday sparked outrage among state lawmakers, who said they would appeal to the UW System president to intervene and would also make other formal protests to block the speech by Ward Churchill.

 UW-Whitewater Chancellor Jack Miller said in a statement he decided to honor an invitation for Churchill to speak at the campus 40 miles southeast of Madison despite the controversy over comments the University of Colorado professor made about the Sept. 11 attacks.

 Miller laid out six stipulation he said must be met to ensure the March 1 would go off as planned, including assurances the university can guarantee the safety of the campus, visitors and Churchill.

 While calling Churchillıs comments ³grossly inappropriate,² Miller said it would be up to students, staff and others to judge the professorıs comments
.

 ³I have worked to make an informed decision, not the popular or politicall y expedient one,² Miller said.

 He also said in a statement no taxpayer money will be used to pay Churchillıs honorarium or travel expenses. Miller pledged to help raise private money to cover the costs of the speech and to make a personal contribution.

 State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, began circulating a formal resolution Thursday to condemn Millerıs decision that he hoped the full Legislature would vote on next week. Nass said the decision defied common sense and questioned why the university would allow someone to speak on campus that had spewed what he called anti-American hate speech.

 ³The bottom line is common sense has to prevail here,² said Nass, who graduated from Whitewater in 1978 and received his masterıs degree in 1990. ³This is hate speech. The chancellor is saying itıs OK to bring hate speech to the university so long as it does not cost the university money. That is ridiculous.²

 Churchill came under fire after it became widely reported that an essay he wrote likened workers in the World Trade Center to ³little Eichmanns,² a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who ensured the smooth running of the Nazi system.

 Churchill made the comparison in an essay written hours after the 2001 attacks and later revised for a book.

 The ethnic studies professor said in Boulder, Colo., Tuesday that his essa y referred to ³technocrats² who participate in what he calls repressive American policies around the world.

 The essay and follow-up book attracted little attention until Churchill wa s invited to speak last month at Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., which later canceled his talk out of security concerns. Other schools have canceled speeches by the professor out of similar worries.

 Churchill, a longtime Indian Movement activist, was invited to speak at th e campus six months ago on the topic of racism and Indians. He did not return a call left at the university Thursday or respond to an e-mail.

 Miller laid out several concerns about the speech in a letter he sent to Churchill before making his decision. Churchill wrote back that he was ³entirely unprepared to undergo a personal interrogation² regarding his ³worthiness² to deliver a public lecture on an entirely different topic tha n he wrote about in the controversial essay.

 He warned he would still expect his full honorarium if the university canceled his speech and would use at least part of the money to visit Whitewater on his own to speak.

 The controversy and Churchillıs subsequent comments prompted the Universit y of Coloradoıs Board of Regents to investigate whether it can remove Churchill.

On 2/14/05 12:21 PM, "Christian, Donald P." <CHRISTDP@uwec.edu> wrote:

> Karen - funny you should mention it. I emailed David Jones about this la
st
> week, after the panel discussion, and he thought it would be a good thing
> pursue a campus discussion. We might frame this as how facuty are aware o
f and
> "manage" their political biases in the classroom. Susan Turell does a
> masterful job of this. Kent Syverson also might be a good participant.
I'd
> be happy working with a group of faculty to structure such a dialogue.
>
> Don

 It