RE: Spectator coverage of a current issue

Alarcon, Eberth G. Jr. (ALARCOEG@uwec.edu)
Thu, 12 May 2005 09:33:53 -0500

Subject: RE: Spectator coverage of a current issue
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:33:53 -0500
From: "Alarcon, Eberth G. Jr." <ALARCOEG@uwec.edu>

Colleagues,
  Regarding the Spectator article, I think we need to highlight the following:

In early May, the school board received an unsigned letter from parents objecting to sexual and political issues in the classroom. Bennett said the group is asking for the school's administration and staff to be retrained on rules, for the school to enforce a dress code for teachers banning "offensive" clothing such as "rainbow-colored necklaces," for the school board to hold a forum with parents twice a year and for the educational system to "return to American heritage and tradition in the classroom."
  What kind of slippery slope are these people advocating when a
"rainbow-colored necklace" qualifies as "offensive" clothing? How many different colors of the rainbow would you need before it becomes
"offensive"? three? four? What if you have a rainbow-colored scarf, as Asha does, expressing solidarity with Pachakutik, the South American indigenous movement? This kind of thinking is quite ludicrous, and I think it will be seen as such by a significant majority of our community when we highlight it.
  Lastly. let's try to pin down the authors of this unsigned letter (what was it, a ransom note?) as to the "American heritage and tradition" they are referring to. I can only imagine.
  At least I agree on the idea of a forum with the parents. A forum which all reasonable minded parents who can do so would be obligated to attend.
  Eberth