Re: Spectator coverage of a current issue

Kate Hale (halecl@uwec.edu)
Thu, 12 May 2005 12:46:09 -0500

Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:46:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Spectator coverage of a current issue
From: Kate Hale <halecl@uwec.edu>

How many folks on the SFPJ listserve have children at Memorial? Or elsewhere in the ECASD? Perhaps we could do a ³group² letter to the school board.

I have a son, just finishing his junior year at Memorial.

Kate Hale

On 5/12/05 11:10 AM, "Richmond, Elizabeth B." <RICHMOEB@uwec.edu> wrote:

> I have sent a letter of support of Franklin to the Board, but I didn't me
ntion
> being a parent of school age children. Some of the school board members
have
> expressed appreciation for the letters of support. Jill's idea has meri
t.

> Betsy Richmond

"They
>>> have a lot of stuff that they're trying to figure out."
>>>
>>> Janiuk said the parents' criticism of Franklin's teaching was also
>>> personal.
>>>
>>> "Even though he may not have directed it at me, it attacked me," she
said.
>>> "It's not an easy thing to deal with, knowing a sizeable part of the
town
>>> is upset that you exist."
>>>
>>> Bennett said parents should have been notified ahead of time about th
>>> discussion and given the option to remove their children.
>>>
>>> "You can talk about gays, but there are times when that discussion ne
eds
>>> to stay away from the students. It becomes offensive to people," Benn
ett
>>> said. "If someone decides to do that to their own body, that's a very
>>> private issue."
>>>
>>> Janiuk disagreed.
>>>
>>> "They're not private issues, they're life issues," she said. "They're
 no
>>> more private than your ethnicity or your family. That's who you are an
>>> there's nothing wrong with expressing it. It doesn't have to be kept
>>> secret."
>>>
>>> In addition to the rally, Janiuk said, she is organizing an education
al
>>> panel and forum at Memorial in response to the debate. She also plans
>>> meet with the school's principal.
>>>
>>> "I've had a lot of people say, 'Jess, just tell me where to be,' " Ja
niuk
>>> said. "I'm not concerned (for myself). It's for everyone who is now b
eing