RE: PETITION DRIVE ORGANIZED

Wesenberg, Nancy Christine (WESENBNC@uwec.edu)
Fri, 13 May 2005 09:25:18 -0500

Subject: RE: PETITION DRIVE ORGANIZED
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:25:18 -0500
From: "Wesenberg, Nancy Christine" <WESENBNC@uwec.edu>

Thanks for this information. I will be there.

I would like to make one point however. I am really glad that everyone is so fired up about this and ready to get out and fight, however, since I recently trained as a speaker with Action Wisconsin, I want to remind everyone that for the next year and a half (Nov. 2006 ballot) we will be preparing to try to defeat the proposed amendment to the Wisconsin constitution that would ban civil unions and domestic partnerships along with gay marriage. While we focus on this local issue, I think it is really important that we continue to take the high road and focus on the civil rights aspect of this, trying to remain as calm as possible, avoiding name calling and finger pointing, while making our points forcefully and confidently.

I would like very much to make people who look like bigots to me simply go away, but they aren't going to, and what we need to do is to galvanize the fence sitters, and bring them to our side by calmly insisting that people who have religious agendas may not force them down others' throats. Public schools are supposed to be for everyone, so by their nature are diverse and must be inclusive. If people don't want their children to hear about anyone different, let them send them to narrowly focused parochial schools (since we all know how well repression usually works). Sorry, enough from me. Just trying to remember the bigger issue (and the even bigger one, as Kate pointed out). Nancy Wesenberg

-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Giamati, Claudia M. Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 9:07 AM To: Hale, C. Kate; SFPJ Cc: Oates, Scott F.; Dale, Helen N.; Manning, Carmen K. Subject: RE: PETITION DRIVE ORGANIZED

Is ther an alternative time and place to pick these up??? thanks, cg

-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu on behalf of Hale, C. Kate Sent: Fri 5/13/2005 6:35 AM To: SFPJ Cc: Oates, Scott F.; Dale, Helen N.; Manning, Carmen K. Subject: PETITION DRIVE ORGANIZED
  I thought many of you would like to know about this.

Kate English Dept.
-----Original Message----- From: David Henly [mailto:tycobb@charter.net] Sent: Thu 12-May-05 10:14 PM To: Susan Edstrom; Hale, C. Kate; Trish Cummins Subject: Saturday, 10:30 a.m., Acoustic Cafe
  Folks,

You may have picked this info up from other sources...

there is a meeting this Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m. at the Acoustic Cafe to meet with Ken Sullivan et al to distribute the petitions that are being circulated to support the current curriculum and discussion of diversity and tolerance.