RE: Signatures needed for school board petition

Wesenberg, Nancy Christine (WESENBNC@uwec.edu)
Fri, 20 May 2005 09:01:46 -0500

Subject: RE: Signatures needed for school board petition
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:01:46 -0500
From: "Wesenberg, Nancy Christine" <WESENBNC@uwec.edu>

Once again, I also have a few copies of the petition here in Schofield 201 if that is closer for any of you, but I am only here in the morning. Nancy Wesenberg - News Bureau

-----Original Message----- From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Hale, C. Kate Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:58 PM To: ENGL.STAFF Cc: SFPJ Subject: Signatures needed for school board petition Importance: High

Colleagues,

Thanks to Theresa Kemp, we have a petition in our English Department coffee room that I suspect you would all be willing to sign. We're coming up on the last week of the drive that aims to get 1000 signatures to send to the Eau Claire school board in support of open discussion/diversity in our public schools in the ECASD. Petition drive organizer Ken Sullivan reports that he's "heard from school board members and administrators that our efforts are appreciated and will help counter the impression that the "concerned" group [those protesting the discussion of transgender UWEC student Jessica Janiuk in Beth Franklin's MHS English class] represents a substantial number of citizens. They have a petition with 300 signatures. WE NEED THE 1000 SIGNATURES (or more!)"

If you would like, in addition to signing the petition, to have a copy of the petition to take to your neighbors, let me know--we've got electronic copies and could easily make several.

Many of you have taken the time, thankfully, to make phone calls, write letters to the Leader-Telegram, to the school board, to Memorial High School; this will take much less time, and will add a great deal to the public presentation of our views. Please take a couple of minutes to stop by the coffee room and sign on.

Kate