Minumum Wage Victory in Eau Claire

Richmond, Rick (rrichmon@uwec.edu)
Wed, 25 May 2005 07:53:12 -0500

Subject: Minumum Wage Victory in Eau Claire
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 07:53:12 -0500
From: "Richmond, Rick" <rrichmon@uwec.edu>

Yesterday, May 24, the Eau Claire City Council agreed to raise the local minimum wage to $6.65/hour in three 50-cent increments. A number of SFPJ-list subscribers assisted in this effort -- thanks to all!

----- Original Message ----- From: Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 8:47 PM Subject: A VICTORY FOR CITIZENS!!

A VICTORY FOR ALL! MINIMUM WAGE WILL INCREASE IN EAU CLAIRE!

On Tuesday night, the Eau Claire City Council voted "YES" to raising the minimum wage in Eau Claire. The ordinance calls for 3 50-cent increases over the next year, to $6.65 an hour.

This is a victory for all of the hard working people of our city who deserve to be able to afford such things as healthcare, education, childcare as well as the necessities of life. Furthermore, local business will be positively effected, as people will have more disposable income to spend at them.

We must thank the City Council, especially the members that voted "yes" for the increase. Toby Biegel, Dallas Neville, Kerry Kincaid, Terri Stanley, Beryle Middleton and Bob Von Haden all voted yes, and should be strongly commended. Dave Adler, Hal Davis, Ray Hughes and Dave Duax voted no.

We must also thank Citizens for a Fair Wage. CFW initiated this endeavor and never gave up. Their efforts made this possible. Thanks to everyone, especially Mike Turner, Mark Williams, Dave Carpenter, Laura Hoffman, Tom Kemp, Andrew Werthmann, Bruce Honadel, Joel Nilsestuen, John DeRosier, Rick Richmond, Brandon Buchanan, Jeremy Gragert, Katy Wineke, many AFSCME members, Ashley Wickenhauser, Jon Radcliffe, and lots of other people who made this a success. Thank you also to those that showed up to our rally on Monday night and the City Council meetings. Your presence made a difference.

In the coming weeks, our state legislators may attempt to override our hard work and strip us of our local right to decide our own wage levels. Make sure to call them and let them know that you favor local decision making in regards to minimum wage levels. Our efforts forced legislators in Madison to act on this issue, and if they take away our municipal rights, we cannot pressure them again in the future. Let us never give up our ability to make change through local grassroots efforts.

Thanks again to everyone who made this possible. Eau Claire has scored a decisive victory, and has shown our state where we stand when it comes to rewarding the hard working people of our community. We should all feel proud to be residents of Eau Claire!!