DIRTY AIR BILL, URGENT!

Drumm, Daniel L. (DRUMM@uwec.edu)
Wed, 25 May 2005 13:18:09 -0500

Subject:  DIRTY AIR BILL, URGENT!
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:18:09 -0500
From: "Drumm, Daniel L." <DRUMM@uwec.edu>

Subject: [Lightning] DIRTY AIR BILL, URGENT!

The Dirty Air Bill, or AB 277, will greatly weaken protections for the air Wisconsinites breathe. Not only is this bill bad for the air that our families breathe, but it has been almost completely written by special interests who will profit from the passage of this bill. This bill has already passed through the Wisconsin State Assembly at a very quick speed and with much controversy, considering the undemocratic process with which it was passed. Decisions on this bill were made behind closed doors and the public's input has not been welcome. However, we have one last opportunity to stop the Dirty Air Bill from passing by demanding that the Senate Natural Resources and Transportation Committee vote against this bill. Here is an article written about the bill as it passed through the Assembly:

The Capital Times: http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/index.php?ntid=34222
<http://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/index.php?ntid=34222&ntpid=0>
&ntpid=0

We have a rare opportunity to make our voice heard in order to protect our air! There are a few things that you can do:

1) Write a personal letter to the Senate Natural Resources Committee, asking them to oppose AB277. The letter can be brief (two paragraphs) and there are talking points to help you along below. You can submit the letters to us (WI League of Conservation Voters Institute) and we will hand deliver them the day of the hearing in Madison to ensure that they recieve them directly. We need letters by Wednesday night (5/25). Email them to hilary@conservationvoters.org or fax to 1-608-260-9799

2) Attend the public hearing in Madison:

Senate Natural Resources and Transportation Public Hearing 10 am, Thu, May 26, State Capital 330-SW

Please contact us with for more information about attending the hearing.

Talking Points and a general outline for writing about AB 277 to Senate Natural Resource Committee Members:

. Provide as many of your 'identities' as possible and urge him to vote against the bill. Example: As a father, teacher, doctor, American Legion member, and voting constituent, I urge you to vote against AB277.

. Outline the reasons that you are against this bill.

What does this mean for Wisconsinites?
- If passed, AB277 will greatly weaken protections for the air Wisconsinites breathe.
- Toxic air emissions can lead to or trigger cancer, birth defects, neurological damage, impaired fetal brain development, respiratory problems, reproductive problems, suppressed immune systems and developmental delays.
- Approximately 400,000 people in Wisconsin have asthma, which costs an estimated $209 million annually to treat.
- In 2002, 8,156 Wisconsin citizens went to the hospital with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, costing more than $79 million.

Why is this bill bad for Wisconsin?
- It will open up the law to potentially allow ALL sources of air pollution to be exempt from construction permits. This means no public input or process when a facility is being built in a community or expanding.
- It will allow power plants and other major sources of pollution to run forever without their permits expiring. If facilities are exempt from obtaining construction permits, then it becomes almost impossible for the Department of Natural Resources to ensure that national air quality standards are met. Normally permits last about 5 years and then the DNR will step in and re-assess the facility. This may not happen for some of Wisconsin's major polluters.
- Consequently, a community may not know about the pollutants in their air because the permits where this information is typically all kept may not even exist.

. Most importantly, include your personal story. Why are you and your family concerned by this bill? What will this mean for your community? Does someone in your family have asthma? What do you love about Wisconsin? Your personal story is more important than the details of the bill.

Thank you for your support! Hilary Manske, Western Organizer Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters Institute 608-661-0845, hilary@conservationvoters.org