Recent Research: Number of working poorfamilies growing in America

Wahome, Kimamo (WAHOMEK@uwec.edu)
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:57:37 -0500

Subject: Recent Research: Number of working poorfamilies growing in America
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:57:37 -0500
From: "Wahome, Kimamo" <WAHOMEK@uwec.edu>

-----Original Message----- From: TRIO Program Educators [mailto:TRIO@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU] On Behalf Of Robert Levine Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 2:18 PM To: TRIO@LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU Subject: [TRIO] Recent Research: Number of working poor families growing in America

To those who claim they "did not know about the extent of poverty in the US", it seems to me one has to "avoid knowing". Jean Paul Sartre once said that the only way one could absolutely be sure to avoid looking at something is to know exactly where it is. He referred to this as absence being experienced as a presence.

For the latest info on poverty in America, you might find this enlightening and share with those less enlighteded than most of you, given what we all know about poverty from whom we serve and what we do.

Number of working poor families growing in America

Poverty in America, One Nation Pulling Apart http://www.povertyinamerica.psu.edu

Although the War on Poverty was declared in the 1960s, a poor family today in 2005 is much worse off than the average poor family in the 1960s, because official poverty measures have failed to keep up with changing basic needs, according to a new report.
"An Atlas of Poverty in America: One Nation Pulling Apart, 1960-2003" has just been published by a team of Penn State researchers. The project was funded by the Ford Foundation. An expanded version of the atlas, with updated and new sections, will be published by Routledge this fall.

"America has become a nation of people where all able persons who can work, do, but many can not make ends meet," says Dr. Amy Glasmeier, lead author and the E. Willard Miller Professor of Economic Geography at Penn State. "America is not currently doing all it can to assist working families, those who are discriminated against in the labor market, and the disabled, to make ends meet. "Current U.S. poverty rates may underestimate poverty among the working poor," she adds. "Being poor in 1960 meant getting by on less than $3,553 for a family of four a year. Families were not expected to own a car or have a bed for each family member, and nothing was budgeted for medical care or insurance. "

See above link for much more information.

Robert Levine Grants Office 718-482-5074