RE: We need help up in Eau Claire

Richmond, Rick (rrichmon@uwec.edu)
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:51:30 -0500

Subject: RE: We need help up in Eau Claire
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:51:30 -0500
From: "Richmond, Rick" <rrichmon@uwec.edu>

TAUWP (AFT Local 3535) will be happy to co-sponsor this screening. I suspect there will be other community organizations that will be interested in additional showings - either during or after the week of November 13. I'll contact the Eau Claire Area Labor Council about that.
  Rick Richmond

________________________________

From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu on behalf of Nowlan, Robert A. Sent: Tue 9/20/2005 6:40 PM To: sfpj@listserve.uwec.edu Cc: Radcliffe, Jonathan David; Werthmann, Andrew Frank Subject: RE: We need help up in Eau Claire

I've read about this film previously. I think we should sponsor it--and if we want to do so I'm sure PSA would be glad to co-sponsor with us, even make most of the arrangements.

  Bob

________________________________

From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Forman, Pamela J. Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:33 PM To: sfpj@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: FW: We need help up in Eau Claire

Sponsor?

Pam

________________________________

From: Thomas Boese [mailto:tomboe@sbcglobal.net] Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:53 PM To: Young, Edward G.; Cassidy, Margaret L.; Bonstead-Bruns, Melissa J.; Crane, Vicky L.; Forman, Pamela J.; Benesh, Diann G.; Carroll, Wayne D.; Dacosta, Maria N.; Jamelske, Eric M.; Kemp, Thomas A. Subject: We need help up in Eau Claire

Greetings All:

I'm a Field Producer in Wisconsin for the coming film: WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price. We need your help! Someone needs to make sure there is a screening of this film in Eau Claire. There is no sociological phenomenon quite like Wal-Mart. The attached press release gives you more information. Also see the websites: www.walmartmovie.com
<http://www.walmartmovie.com/> and www.bravenewfilms.org
<http://www.bravenewfilms.org/>

Tomorrow on Good Morning America, there is going to be a segment on China. On Thursday, there is going to be a segment on Wal-Mart's role with China.

I'm contacting interested students,student organizations, and faculty at UW Eau Claire that may be interested in hosting a screening of this film that is to be free for the public. This can be either on or off campus or BOTH. Any group can do this, or better yet several groups can team up and host it together. The key is to open it up to the community at large and... Promote! Promote! Promote! You can order a bunch of books on the Wal-Mart phenomenon and have a book table as a fund raiser for your group. Have the UWEC band play, host a post-screening town meeting and invite local experts on this topic. Have fun with this and organize it the way you want. Let me know and I will do what I can with publicity posters etc.

It is no secret that when students get fired up about an issue, they will get the word out. As most of you know, there is yet another Wal-Mart Supercenter going up in the town of Plover. There was a contentious fight over this issue locally. The time will soon be coming when Stevens Point will be looking at another one of Wal-Mart's "dark stores." There are now approximately 370 "dark stores" all across the county, and 31% of these stay that way for 3 years or more. Wisconsin now has more than 39 Wal-Mart Supercenters and more are being planned.

Why is this even important? Well for one, we have a national trade deficit that is approaching $700 billion dollars. Wal-Mart is way out in front of anyone else when it comes to importing Chinese and other foreign goods into this country. Your children's children won't be able to pay this off if we keep heading in this direction. Also, Wal-Mart is a company with a poor environmental record and an even poorer employee rights record. WM is now facing the largest class-action lawsuit in history because of discrimination towards women employees. Now Wal-Mart is salivating over getting into the banking business.

We need to reach the people who are "addicted to low prices." They can't help themselves. Remember: "Friends don't let friends shop at Wal-Mart."

Thanks,

Tom Boese

Field Producer - Wisconsin

Brave New Films