Re: Rigoberta Menchu, UW-Milwaukee, October 14

Alarcon, Eberth G. Jr. (ALARCOEG@uwec.edu)
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:22:02 -0500

Subject: FW: Rigoberta Menchu, UW-Milwaukee, October 14
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:22:02 -0500
From: "Alarcon, Eberth G. Jr." <ALARCOEG@uwec.edu>

Colleagues,
  Here is some more info on Rigoberta Menchu's upcoming presentation. As far as I know, it will be simulcast in Schofield Auditorium. I will look into the possibility of having SFPJ co-sponsor the event.
  Eberth

________________________________

From: Santos-Phillips, Eva L. Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:37 PM To: Chaves, Juan C.; Yelkur, Rama; Cleary, Catherine Nierengart; Pastrana, Jill Pinkney; Grossman, Zoltan C.; Fuentes, Luz Bibiana; Valero, Jose A.; Day, Patrick L.; Smith, Carter E.; Ernst, Beth K.; Santos-Phillips, Eva L.; Avin, Rose-Marie; Alarcon, Eberth G. Jr.; FORLANG.STAFF; Markgraf, Karl F.; Peterson, Jean M.; Strohschank, Johannes; O'Day, Karen M.; Varela-Garcia, Fabiola; Ries, Ernestina; Gray, Obika B.; Castellanos, Lina C.; Dossin, Alexandre S.; Cummings, Anne D.; De Grave, Analisa E.; RFernan9@aol.com; Zighelboim, Stephanie D.; Fernandes, Jill Hecker; Lochner, Susan A.; Hoff, Paul J.; Fernandez, Manuel Subject: FW: Rigoberta Menchu, UW-Milwaukee, October 14

Please read the following.
  Eva L. Santos-Phillips, Ph.D. Associate Prof. of Spanish Dept. of Foreign Languages Univ. of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Telephone: 715-836-4215

________________________________

From: owner-regional_faculty@uwm.edu on behalf of Julie Kline Sent: Tue 9/20/2005 4:53 PM To: regional_faculty Cc: jkline@uwm.edu Subject: Rigoberta Menchu, UW-Milwaukee, October 14

Good aftternoon,

The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, will welcome Rigoberta Menchú Tum to campus on Friday, October 14. See announcement attached and in text format below.

The event is free, however a ticket is required as seating is limited; pickup locations listed below. If you are interested in attending, but live a distance from Milwaukee, let me know and we'll do our best to track down a ticket for you. (We expect tickets to move quickly, so I can't promise availability.) Please also note: reserved seating for school groups is already filled, so we won't be able to accommodate class requests.

For those campuses who have already asked to receive the program via simultaneous webcast, we'll be sending more details in the next few days so that you can make appropriate arrangements.

best,

Julie

Julie K. Kline Outreach and Academic Program Coordinator Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee PO Box 413 Milwaukee, WI 53201
(414) 229-5986 phone
(414) 229-2879 fax jkline@uwm.edu http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/CLACS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a presentation by

RIGOBERTA MENCHÚ TUM

Friday, October 14 11:00 am Wisconsin Room University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 2200 E Kenwood Blvd

Free with Complimentary Ticket

(simultaneous webcast: Union Ballroom, no ticket required)

If you have special needs, please notify us in writing or by phone at least two weeks before the program.

Human rights activist Rigoberta Menchú Tum, of Quiché Maya heritage, has become widely known as a leading advocate of indigenous rights and ethnocultural reconciliation, not only in Guatemala but throughout the Western Hemisphere. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1992.

Sponsored by the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, the Center for International Education, UWM Union Sociocultural Programming, the Women's Resource Center, the Center for Women's Studies, the Cultures and Communities Program Office, and the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. For more information, call 414-229-5986 or see: www.uwm.edu/Dept/CLACS.

Complimentary tickets are available at the following:

UWM campus locations:
" Center for International Education (Garland 102)
" Union Sociocultural Programming (Union 334)
" Women's Resource Center (Union WG93)
" Center for Women's Studies (Bolton 735)

Off-campus locations:
" Woodland Pattern Book Center (720 E. Locust St.)
" Peoples Books (2122 E. Locust St.)
" ¿Qué Pasa? Coffee & Books (611 W. National Ave.)