Harry Reid's Senate Speech

Kate Hinnant (hinnanks@uwec.edu)
Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:21:07 -0600

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:21:07 -0600
Subject: Harry Reid's Senate Speech
From: Kate Hinnant <hinnanks@uwec.edu>

Many of you know that Harry Reid lead the Senate Democrats today in demanding a closed session to discuss why promised investigations into the intelligence used to justify the Iraq War have not yet been initiated. I don't know how widely his speech will be shown, but here is a rough transcript:

Mr. Reid: Thank you very much, Mr. President. Just a couple of
            days ago, my son Lief called me and indicated that his lovely
            wife Amber was going to have another baby. That will be my --
            our 16th grandchild. Mr. President, i have thought about that,
            and I have to say that i've been in public service a long time.
            Never have I been so concerned about our country. We have gas
            prices that are really unbelievable. This year they've been
            over $3 in the state of nevada. Diesel fuel is still over $3 a
            gallon in nevada. The majority leader of the House of
            Representatives is under indictment. The man in charge of
            contracting for the federal government under indictment.
            Deficits, Mr. President, so far you can't see them. The
            deficits have been basically run up by President Bush's
            administration these last five years. We're the wealthiest
            nation in the world but we are very poor as it relates to
            health care. We have an intractable war in Iraq. Is it any
            wonder that I'm concerned about my family, my grandchildren?
            This past weekend, we witnessed the indictment of l. Lewis
            Libby, the Vice President's chief of staff, also on the
            President's staff, a senior advisor to the President. Mr. Libby
            is the first sitting White House staffer to be indicted in 135
            years. Is it any wonder, Mr. President, that I'm concerned
            about my grandchildren?

            This indictment raises very serious charges. It asserts this
            administration engaged in actions that both harmed our national
            security and were morally repugnant. The decision made to place
            United States soldiers, our military into harm's way I believe
            is the most significant responsibility the Constitution vests
            in the Congress and in the President. The Libby indictment
            provides a window into what this is really all about, how this
            administration manufactured and manipulated intelligence in
            order to sell the war in iraq and attempted to destroy those
            who dared to challenge its actions. Mr. President, these are
            not just words from Harry Reid. Larry Wilkerson, Colonel Larry
            Wilkerson, Colin Powell's former chief of staff -- Colin
            Powell, of course, was Secretary of State. This man was his
            chief of staff for four years. Here's what he said about the
            war in iraq. "If -- in President Bush's first term, some of the
            most important decisions about U.S. national security,
            including vital decisions about post-war Iraq, were made by a
            secretive, little-known cabal, was made up of a very small
            group of people led by vice President Dick Cheney and Defense
            Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. But the secret process was
            ultimately a failure. It produced a series of disastrous
            decisions." That's what I'm here to talk about today, Mr.
            President. As a result of its improper conduct, a cloud now
            hangs over this administration. This cloud is further darkened
            by the administration's mistakes in prisoner abuse, Hurricane
            Katrina, and the cronyism and corruption in numerous agencies
            throughout this administration. And unfortunately, it must be
            that said a cloud also hangs over this Republican-controlled
            Congress for its unwillingness to hold this Republican
            administration accountable for its misdeeds on these issues.

            During the time that we had a Democratic President, eight
            years, and when the Democrats were in charge of the co
            committees, we were in the majority, oversight hearings were
            held covering the gamut of what went on in this administration
            -- that administration. Today there is not an oversight hearing
            held on anything. Let's take a look at back how we got here
            with respect to Iraq. The record will show that within hours of
            the terrorist acts of 9/11, senior officials in this
            administration recognized those attacks could be used as a
            pretext to invade Iraq. The record will also show that in the
            months and years after 9/11, the administration engaged in a
            pattern of manipulation of the facts and retribution against
            anyone who got in its way as it made its case for attacking,
            for invading Iraq. There are numerous examples of how the
            administration misstated and manipulated the facts as it made
            the case for war. The administration statements on Saddam's
            alleged nuclear weapons capabilities and ties with al Qaeda
            represent the best examples how it consistently and repeatedly
            manipulated the facts. The AMerican people were warned time and
            time again by the President, the Vice President, the current
            Secretary of State and their other capacities about Saddam's
            nuclear weapons capabilities. The Vice President said -- and I
            quote -- "Iraq has reconstituted its nuclear programs." Playing
            upon the fears of Americans after september 11, these officials
            and others raised the specter that left unchecked, Saddam could
            soon attack America with nuclear weapons. Obviously we know now
            that their nuclear claims were wholly inaccurate. But more
            troubling is the fact that a lot of intelligence experts were
            telling the administration then that its claims about Saddam's
            nuclear capabilities were false. The situation very similar
            with respect to Saddam's links to al Qaeda. The Vice President
            told the American people -- I quote again -- "we know he's out
            trying once again to produce nuclear weapons and we know he has
            a long-standing relationship with various terrorist groups,
            including the al Qaeda organization."

            These assertions have
            been totally discredited, not a little bit, totally
            discredited. But again, the administration went ahead with
            these assertions in spite of the fact that the government's top
            experts did not agree with these claims. Again, Wilkerson is a
            person in point. What has been the response of this
            Republican-controlled Congress to the administration's
            manipulation of intelligence that led to this protracted war in Iraq?
            Nothing. Did the Republican-controlled Congress carry out its
            constitutional obligations to conduct oversight?
            No. Did it support our troops and their families by providing
            them the answers to many important questions?
            No. Did it even attempt to force this administration to answer
            the most basic questions about its behavior?
            No. Unfortunately, the unwillingness of the
            Republican-controlled Congress to exercise its oversight
            responsibilities is not a limit -- is not limited to just Iraq.
            We see it with respect to the prison abuse scandal. We see it
            with respect to katrina, and we see it with respect to the
            cronyism and corruption that permeates this administration.
            Time and time again, this Republican-controlled Congress has
            consistently chosen to put its political interests ahead of our
            national security. They have repeatedly chosen to protect the
            American -- the Republican administration rather than to get to
            the bottom of what happened and why it happened. There's also
            another disturbing pattern, namely, about how this
            administration responded to those who challenged its
            assertions. Often this administration has actively sought to
            attack and undercut those who dared to raise questions about
            its preferred course. For example, when General Shinseki
            indicated several hundred thousand troops would be needed in
            Iraq, his military career was ended -- fired, relieved of duty
            when he out its inspectors. When Nobel Prize winner and head of the
            IAEA raised questions about the administration's claims of
            Saddam's nuclear capabilities, the administration attempted to
            remove him from his post. When Ambassador Joe Wilson stated
            that there was an attempt by Saddam -- no attempt by Saddam to
            acquire weapons from Niger, the administration not only went
            after him to discredit him, they launched a vicious and
            coordinated campaign going so far as to expose the fact that
            his wife worked as a C.I.A. spy. These people are now having
            24-hour protection fearing for their own safety. Given this
            administration's pattern of squashing those who challenge its
            misstatements, and i've only mentioned a few, what has been the
            response of the Republican-controlled Congress?

            Absolutely nothing. And where their inactions they provide
            political cover for this administration at the same time they
            keep the truth from our troops who continue to make large
            sacrifices in Iraq. Now everyone may think that the troops in
            Iraq are 100% Republican. I've met a friend -- I've made a
            friend. He's a Marine. He was over in when the elections were
            held ten months ago. He said where he was and he never even
            went to the bathroom without a rifle, wherever he was in his
            duty all over this area, he said he couldn't find anyone that
            was happy with the way the elections turned out. They, the
            Republicans, do anything they can to keep the truth from people
            like my Marine friend. This behavior -- i would give you his
            name -- this behavior is unacceptable. The toll in Iraq is as
            staggering as it is solemn. More than 2,000s died 2,025 now,
            Americans have lost their lives. Over 90 Americans have paid
            the ultimate sacrifice in the month of October alone, the
            fourth deadliest month in this go-on three-year war. More than
            15,000 have been wounded. More than 150,000 remain over there
            in harm's way. Enormous sacrifices have been made and continue
            to be made. Mr. President, we've had soldiers and marines from
            Nevada killed, from Eli, from Las Vegas, from Henderson, from
            Boulder City, from Tonapaw. Every time one of these deaths
            occur, it's a dagger in the heart of that community. This
            behavior is unacceptable. I'm a patient man, mr. President. I'm
            a legislator and I know things don't happen over night. I'm a
            parent man but the call from my son has put this in perspective
.
            I'm worried about my family. The toll in Iraq is as staggering
            as I repeat it is solemn. The troops have a right to expect
            answers and accountability worthy of that sacrifice. For
            example, more than 40 Democrats wrote a substantive and
            detailed letter to the President canning -- asking four basic
            questions about this administration's Iraq policy, and we
            received, Mr. President, -- we received a four-sentence fence
            that is response. "Thank you for your letter to the President
            expressing your concerns with Iraq. I've shared your letter
            with the appropriate administration officials." Remember we
            wrote it to the President. "And agencies responsible in this
            area. Please be assured your letter is receiving the attention
            it deserves. Thank you for your compliments, Candy Wolf."
            That's the letter the senators of the united states wrote to
            the President of the its and we get a letter from candy wolf
            say, thanks, we're working on it. America deserves better than.
            This they also deserve a searching and comprehensive
            investigation about how the Bush administration brought this
            country to war, key questions that need to be answered include
            how did the Bush administration assemble its case for war
            against Iraq?

            We heard what Colonel Wilkerson said. Who did the Bush
            administration officials listen to and ignore?
            How did the senior Bush administration officials manipulate or
            manufacture intelligence presented to the Congress or the
            American people?
            What was the role of the White House Iraq Group, a group of
            signor white house officials, tasked with marketing the war and
            taking down its critics. We know what colonel Wilkerson says.
            How did the administration coordinate its efforts to attack
            individuals who dared to challenge the administration's
            assertions. We know what happened to them. I listed a few. Why
            has this administration failed to provide Congress with the
            documents that would shed light on their misconduct and the
            misstatements?

            Unfortunately, the Senate committee that should be taking the
            lead in providing these answers is not. Despite the fact that
            the Chairman of Senate Intelligence Committee publicly
            committed to examine these questions more than a year and a
            half ago, he has chosen not to keep that commitment. Despite
            the fact that he's restated the commitment earlier this year on
            national television, he has still done nothing. Except assemble
            a few quotes from Democratic and Republican senators going back
            to the first Iraq war. We need a thorough investigation that
            that committee is capable and tasked to do. At this point, we
            can only conclude he will continue to put politics ahead of our
            national security. If he does anything at this point, i suspect
            it will be playing political games by producing an analysis
            that files any of these important questions. Instead, if
            history is any guide, this analysis will attempt to disperse
            and deflect blame away from this administration. Key facts
            about the intelligence --

            a Senator: Would the Senator yield for a question?

            Mr. Reid: Key facts June 4, 2003, Intelligence Committee
            commits to bipartisan review of the deeply flewed intelligence
            in Iraq's w.M.D. Phase one. February 12, 2004, Intelligence
            Committee commits to Phase 2, an investigation looking at five
            areas including whether the administration exaggerate and
            manipulated mel dense. July 9, 2004, committee publishes Phase
            oOne report on the intelligence agencies mistakes on Iraq.
            Senator Rockefeller says publicly that Phase Two is as yet
            unbegun. Republican chairman Roberts says it is one of my top
            priorities. July 11 on Meet The Press, Republican chairman
            Roberts says, even as I'm speaking our staff is working on
            phase two and we'll get it done. Fall of 2004, House
            Intelligence Committee, after no follow through on the Iraq
            W.M.D. investigation, the House announced on May 2003, no final
            report. Republican committee chairman Peter Goss is selected to
            C.I.A. Director. Regarding the question of vetting the Valerie
            Plame leak Goss said show me a blue dress and some DNA and I'll
            give you an investigation. End of quote. November, 2004, we had
            the Presidential election. March 2005, President's hand-picked
            W.M.D. intelligence committee says the intelligence agencies
            got the intelligence dead wrong but says that under the
            President's terms of reference we are not authorized to
            investigate how policy-makers used the intelligence assessments
            they received from the intelligence community. March 31, 2005,
            Senator Roberts says it would be monumental waste of time to
            replow this ground any further?

            April 10, 2005, "Meet The Press" Senator Roberts commits to Tim
            Russert that the review will get done. September 2005,
            committee democrats file additional views to their
            authorization bill blasting the committee for failing to
            conduct phase two. There have been letters written to the
            committee, a press release was issued even saying that they
            were going to go forward with this. Mr. President, enough time
            has gone by. I demand on behalf of the American people that we
            understand why these investigations aren't being conducted, and
            in accordance with rule 21, i now move that senate go into
            closed session.

            Mr. Durbin: Mr. President, I motion the -- second the motion.

            The presiding officer: the motion has been made to closed
            session. The. The chair pursuant to rule 21 directs the
            sergeant at arms to clear all galleries, clear all doors of the
            senate chamber and exclude from the chamber and its immediate
            corridors all employees and officials of this senate who under
            the rule are are -- are not eligible to attend the closed
            session and are not sworn to secrecy. The question is
            nondebatable.