Upcoming Events - an announcement from Bob Nowlan

Richmond, Rick (rrichmon@uwec.edu)
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:37:37 -0600

Subject: Upcoming Events - an announcement from Bob Nowlan
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:37:37 -0600
From: "Richmond, Rick" <rrichmon@uwec.edu>

Greetings, Friends and Colleagues, SFPJ:

          I want to let you know of two upcoming events that I am sure you will find of interest, and a number of you may want to be involved with in helping out.

          First, _Progressive_ Magazine editor Matt Rothschild is coming to this campus to give a "major speech" on civil liberties Wednesday February 15 at 7:30 pm in Schofield Auditorium. The title of his speech is "Losing Our Liberties: Life in the Bush Area." The principal co-sponsors of Rothschild's visit are the Chippewa Valley Civil Liberties Union and the Progressive Media Network. Among the other co-sponsors are The Progressive Student Association and _The FlipSide_. I suggested that we too, Eau Claire Staff and Faculty for Peace and Justice, would be willing to be listed as a co-sponsor. All we have to do as such is spread the word and encourage as many people as possible to come to Rothschild's talk; the CVCLU and the PMN are paying the cost of Rothschild's visit. Please do encourage people to come-Rothschild specifically asked to come here to make this "major speech," and we arranged Schofield Auditorium because we believe this presentation deserves to be heard by and discussed with a large crowd. PMN, PSA, and _The FlipSide_ will be principally responsible for on-campus publicity, and the CVCLU for off-campus publicity, but whatever you can do to help with this will be most welcome, including encouraging friends, colleagues, associates, neighbors, and (especially) students in your classes to come (potentially in the last case for extra credit).

          Second, the Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival, will run, primarily if not exclusively on this campus, from Friday April 28 through Sunday May 7. Each day we plan to hold two screening sessions followed by facilitated discussions. A host of other progressive activities are in the works leading up to and simultaneous with the run of the Festival; we plan to make it a major intervention. 17 students, and one recent graduate of this university, are working with me as the Progressive Film Festival staff, and all but the latter are doing so as part of English 395-011: Progressive Film Festival, for three university credits. We've already conducted an initial orientation and planned out what we need to do from here through the end of the Festival; we will be up and running very quickly with the start of the spring 2006 semester, concentrating on programming (in particular seeking/negotiating for/securing rights to show films) and fundraising (getting money to pay for this), as well as various other matters of programming, promotion, and publicity. I think we have a great group of students working on this project, but I also welcome any of you who would like to help us out with this Festival _please_ to let me know and to _please_ join our efforts; we welcome all the assistance we can get. In particular, if you know of a progressive film that you would like us to show as part of the series, and you think you can get permission for us to do so, from the distributor or from the film makers, at a reasonable price for a non-profit, educational, free, progressive, campus film festival, please do help us with getting this permission. We're going to show what we can get permission to show, and what we can afford to show. Any inside connections any of you might have with potential films to screen (and/or relevant film makers) will be most appreciated as contributions to our efforts.

All the Best,

Bob Nowlan Vice-President, Chippewa Valley Civil Liberties Union Faculty Advisor, Progressive Media Network, Progressive Student Association, _The FlipSide_ Director, Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival