October 5th Protest

Nowlan, Robert A. (RANOWLAN@uwec.edu)
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:35:53 -0500

Subject: October 5th Protest
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:35:53 -0500
From: "Nowlan, Robert A." <RANOWLAN@uwec.edu>

NO WORK. NO SCHOOL. PROTEST IN THE STREETS.

Oct. 5th

ENDLESS WARS! TORTURE! KATRINA! THEOCRACY!

BRING THIS TO A HALT!

Thursday, October 5th meet at the clock tower at UWEC at 11:30AM.

We will walk to Phoenix Park.

Bring signs, loud voices, theatre, and costumes.

Millions of us are deeply distressed and angered. But, people are held back by the fear they are alone and powerless.

Many hope that somehow the Democrats will do something to change this when every day it becomes more clear they will not.

From out of this huge reservoir of people, we can unleash a great wave, moving together on the same day - our numbers making a statement

that can not be ignored and that lets it be known that we are determined to bring this whole disastrous direction to a halt.

On Thursday, October 5, join us in saying to the world: This regime does not represent us and we will not stop until we drive it out!

Walk out of school! Refuse to work! No shopping on Oct 5! Come to mass demonstrations across the country and march through the streets

calling on millions more to join us in repudiating this criminal regime with the mobilization of massive political opposition!

WE MUST ACT NOW - THE WORLD'S FUTURE

IS IN OUR HANDS

SIGN THIS CALL TO DRIVE OUT THE BUSH REGIME!

Join these endorsers and the thousands more who have already signed:

Edward Asner, Russell Banks, Harry Belafonte, Margaret Cho, US Rep. John Conyers Jr., John Densmore, Jesse Díaz Jr., Tom Duane,

Michael Eric Dyson, Niles Eldredge, Daniel Ellsberg, Barbara Ehrenreich, Eve Ensler, Jane Fonda, Martin Garbus, Paul Haggis,

Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Rickie Lee Jones, Brig. Gen. (ret) Janis Karpinski, Casey Kasem, Ron Kovic, Jonathan Kozol, Jessica Lange, Mark Leno,

Rabbi Michael Lerner, US Rep. Cynthia McKinney, Mark Crispin Miller, Tom Morello, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Penn, Harold Pinter,

Michael Ratner, Mark Ruffalo, James Schamus, Richard Serra, Rev. Al Sharpton, Cindy Sheehan, Martin Sheen, Serj Tankian, Studs Terkel,

Gore Vidal, Kurt Vonnegut, Alice Walker, Lt. Ehren Watada, US Rep. Maxine Waters, Cornel West, Ann Wright, Howard Zinn.

YOUR GOVERNMENT, on the basis of outrageous lies, is

waging a murderous and utterly illegitimate war in Iraq, with

other countries in their

sights.

YOUR GOVERNMENT

is openly torturing people,

and justifying it.

YOUR GOVERNMENT

puts people in jail on the

merest suspicion, refusing

them lawyers, and either

holding them indefinitely

or deporting them in the

dead of night.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is moving each day closer to a

theocracy, where a narrow and hateful brand of Christian

fundamentalism will rule.

YOUR GOVERNMENT suppresses the science that doesn't

fit its religious, political and economic agenda, forcing present

and future generations to pay a terrible price.

YOUR GOVERNMENT is moving to deny women here, and

all over the world, the right to birth control and abortion.

YOUR GOVERNMENT enforces a culture of greed, bigotry,

intolerance and ignorance.

People look at all this and think of Hitler -

and they are right to

do so. The Bush regime is setting out to radically remake

society very quickly, in a fascist way, and for generations

to come.

We must act now; the future is in the balance.

Millions and millions are deeply disturbed and outraged. They

recognize the need for a vehicle to express this outrage, yet they

cannot find it; politics as usual cannot meet the enormity of the

challenge.

There is not going to be some magical "pendulum swing." People

who steal elections and believe they're on a "mission from God"

will not go without a fight.There will be no savior from the

Democratic Party. This whole idea of putting our hopes and

energies into "leaders" who tell us to seek common ground with

fascists and religious

fanatics is proving every

day to be a disaster, and

actually serves to demobilize

people.

But silence and paralysis

are NOT acceptable. That

which you will not resist

and mobilize to stop, you

will learn - or be forced

- to accept. There is no

escaping it: the whole

disastrous course of this

Bush regime must be STOPPED. And we must take the

responsibility to do it.

And there is a way. We are talking about something on a scale

that can really make a huge change in this country and in the

world. We need more than fighting Bush's outrages one at a

time, constantly losing ground to the whole onslaught. We must,

and can, aim to create a political situation where the Bush

regime's program is repudiated, where Bush himself is driven

from office, and where the whole direction he has been taking

society is reversed. We, in our millions, must and can take

responsibility to change the course of history.

Acting in this way, we join with and give support and heart to

people all over the globe who so urgently need and want this

regime to be stopped. This will not be easy. If we speak the truth,

they will try to silence us. If we act, they will try to stop us. But

we speak for the majority, here and around the world. We are

reaching out to the people who have been so badly fooled by

Bush and we are NOT going to stop.

History is full of examples where people who had right on their

side fought against tremendous odds and were victorious. And it

is also full of examples of people passively hoping to wait it out,

only to get swallowed up by a horror beyond what they ever

imagined. The future is un written . WHICH ONE

WE GET IS UP TO US.

WORLDCANTWAIT.ORG 866-973-4463

DONATE GENEROUSLY TO ORGANIZE FOR OCTOBER 5TH: Donate on-line at worldcantwait.org, or make checks payable to "World Can't Wait." To

make a tax decuctible donation of $100 or more in support of WCW's educational activities, checks should be made out to "The Alliance for Global

Justice," a 501(3)(c) organization, and designate "for WCW" in the check memo line. Mail to: WCW, 305 W. Broadway #185, New York, NY 10013

The "Alliance for Global Justice" latest financial report is available at their offices: 1247 E Street SE, Washington, D.C. 20003.

A financial

report of WCW will be made available upon request from WCW, or from the New York State's Attorney General's office.