RE: Please, no partisan editorials before the election

Krause, Ardyth L. (KRAUSEAL@uwec.edu)
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:08:58 -0500

Subject: RE: Please, no partisan editorials before the election
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:08:58 -0500
From: "Krause, Ardyth L." <KRAUSEAL@uwec.edu>

Why not send this thought to the Leader Telegram? Also, I never heard of anything so ridiculous. What else is there but "partisan" articles before an election? This is the problem with a one newspaper town. Only one point of view. Ardyth Krause

From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Hinnant, Katherine S. Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 3:52 PM To: sfpj@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Please, no partisan editorials before the election

The Republican pull-out of the Chippewa Valley Voters Forum managed to make news and headlines all over the state of Wisconsin. Several people in Eau Claire submitted LTEs and "It Seems to Me" editorials to the Leader Telegram about the Republican no-shows. Today, Margot Bouchard, President of the local chapter of American Association of University Women (one of the sponsors), called the L-T to verify length requirements for the "It Seems to Me" space. She was told flat out by Don Heubscher that no partisan articles about Monday's forum would be published until after the election. He explained that he had already received 8 submissions about the forum, and if he published those, he would have to publish opposing viewpoints. He said they were already overwhelmed by the marriage ammendment letters and editorials.
  I know this is part of the L-T's larger election cycle policy, but "it seems to me" that if Don Heubscher can devote a whole column to the Chamber of Commerce debate, somebody should be allowed to write, even if in general terms, about Monday's forum.