Consider a Seasonal Gift to the Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival

Nowlan, Robert A. (RANOWLAN@uwec.edu)
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:37:15 -0600

Subject: Consider a Seasonal Gift to the Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:37:15 -0600
From: "Nowlan, Robert A." <RANOWLAN@uwec.edu>

Greetings, Friends, SFPJ:

    I'd like to invite you to consider making a seasonal donation to support the 2007 UWEC Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival. If you are able and interested in doing so you can send your tax-deductible donations to the UWEC Foundation with the included instruction that this donation is to support the Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival and to be transferred for this purpose to the English Department Advancement Fund (our operating account at UWEC). So far we have raised approximately $5000.00 for next year's festival--scheduled to run from Friday April 13 through Sunday April 22--which is very promising since this is equivalent to the total amount we raised for last year's film festival. But we can definitely use more financial support, especially if, and this we aim to do this year, we want not only to screen and discuss films, but also to bring in guests to present and conduct workshops during the festival (filmmakers, subjects of films, and others with relevant expert knowledge about issues we will be addressing in the films). Plus, more money will mean we can afford the public permission fees for more expensive films. Your donation, of any amount--say $25 or
$50 or more, for example--will help. And we will definitely greatly appreciate it!

    The 2007 Festival looks to be a very exciting event. Not only are we well ahead of last year in planning and preparation, but also we aim to help sponsor a series of allied, and concurrent events during the run of the Festival--"Ten Days of Progressive Education and Action" (which may tentatively include speeches, workshops, readings, dramatic performances, stand-up comic performances, musical performances, art exhibitions, rallies, marches, vigils, and other diverse happenings--all depending upon what our staff can manage to solicit and arrange [and we have up to 27 people potentially working on this event this year, in one way or another, or to one degree or another, although so far pretty much all of what we've done John Nicksic, this year's festival director, and I, have done ourselves]).

    Also, for your information, we now have already tentatively confirmed the booking of the following films for our festival run:
  1. _I Know I'm Not Alone_
  Michael Franti, of Spearhead, travels to, investigates, and plays music throughout the Middle East.
  2. _Brother Outsider the Life of Bayard Ruskin_
  The life and times of the openly gay lead organizer within the Black Civil Rights Movement, and a principal activist mentor of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  3. _The ACLU Freedom Files_
  Ten parts from focusing on current 'hot' current civil liberties and human rights issues, from Robert Greenwald and Jeremy Kagan.
  4. _Why We Fight_
  Eugene Jarecki's critical inquiry into the US military-industrial complex from the Eisenhower administration onward--and backward.
  5. _What is Indie?_
  Inquiring into what truly independent musical production and distribution is like today, who is involved, and how it works.
  6. _The God Who Wasn't There_
  Critically inquiring into the question of whether the New Testament personage Jesus ever really existed, and how the historical Jesus has been socially and politically constructed-as well as why so.
  7. _The Cult of the Suicide Bomber_
  Examining the history and politics, as well as the psychology, behind this instrument of warfare, from Samson through the present.
  8. _Darwin's Nightmare_
  Imperialist links between the illicit arms trade and the destruction of the indigenous ecology and associated social welfare of the Lake Victoria region in Tanzania.
  9. _Who Killed the Electric Car?_
  Inquiring into exactly this question, and showing what interests were--and are--responsible.
  10. _Daddy and Papa_
  Focusing on current controversies surrounding same-sex couples parenting in the US today.
  11. _Manderlay_
  The second of Lars Von Trier's USA trilogy, beginning with _Dogville_, again offering a blunt attack on American hypocrisy, sanctimony, and venality through creatively imagined scenarios and stagings.
  12. _The Forsaken Land_
  A poetic examination--and winner of the Camera d'Or at Cannes for best first feature--of the human and ecological impact and legacy of 23 years of Civil War in Sri Lanka.
  13. _The World According to Shorts_
  Six current award-winning short films, from Chile (_La Perra_), Australia (_We Have Decided Not to Die_), Norway (_United We Stand_), Poland (_Antichrist_), Brazil (_The Old Woman's Step_), and Germany
(_Ring of Fire_).
  14. _Laramie Inside_
  An inquiry into the cultural politics of Laramie, Wyoming, past and present, in the aftermath of the Matthew Shepard murder.
  15. _Strange Fruit_
  Exploring the history and terror of the long all-too-extensive practice of lynching in the US, as well as its continuing legacy and impact, and the heroism of those who fought back.
  16. _DAM/AGE_
  Arundhati Roy's campaign against the Narada Dam project in India, which will displace over a million people. Focusing on issues of globalization and development as well as of the need for state accountability and the exercise of free speech in protest and dissent.
  17. _The Hour of the Furnaces_
  The most famous and influential film in the history of 'Third Cinema', focusing on revolutionary struggles in Argentina in the 1960s.
  18. _Fight Back, Fight AIDS: Fifteen Years of ACT UP_
  A comprehensive insider history of one of the most powerfully influential and impactful movements in postmodern progressive politics.

*
  We also have received permission to screen the following films too, but are still deciding whether we can afford the prices, and the equipment costs:
  1. _Pick Up the Mic_
  Feature-length documentary on the burgeoning contemporary US (and UK) homohop (queer hip hop) movement, with performances, history, background, context, and perspective.
  2. _Peace, Propaganda, and the Promised Land_
  Examining not only the interests at stake in the Israeli-Palestine conflict but also in the ways this is predominantly represented in the mainstream media outside of the region, especially in the US.
  3. _This Land is Your Land_
  Grassroots popular community stories of how people across the US have dealt with -- and fought back against -- the detrimental impact of large corporate domination of their individual and community lives.
  4. _Sacco and Vanzetti_
  A new documentary historical re-examination of the famous story of these two immigrant Italian anarchists executed in the aftermath of a notoriously prejudiced and flawed trial for murder back in 1922, with focus as well on the subsequent legacy and impact of these men's lives, and their fate.
  In addition, furthermore, these are among the other films we are also exploring obtaining the permission to screen:
  1. _Enron: the Smartest Guys in the Room_
  2. _Iraq for Sale_
  3. _The Road to Guantanamo_
  4. _War is $ell_
  5. _Domestic Violence Part I_
  6. _Domestic Violence Part II_
  7. _Cochise County, USA: Cries Across the Border_
  8. _Doing Time: Life Inside the Big House_
  9. _The Canary Effect_
  10. _El Norte_
  11. _Shortbus_
  12. _Hedwig and the Angry Inch_
  13. _Zero Degrees of Separation_
  14. _Born into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids_
  15. _The Gleiwitz Case_
  16. _The Murderers Are Among Us_
  17. _Your Unknown Brother_

  The more assistance we can get--and financial assistance is indeed key--the more and better we can do . . . for all of us.

  Thank you, once again, for whatever you can do to help.

  All the Best,

  Bob Nowlan Executive Director, 2007 Eau Claire Progressive Film Festival