Re: Please support mass transit amendments

Wahome, Kimamo (WAHOMEK@uwec.edu)
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:42:33 -0600

From: "Wahome, Kimamo" <WAHOMEK@uwec.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:42:33 -0600
Subject: FW: Please support mass transit amendments

From: Jeremy Gragert [mailto:jgragert@gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:21 AM To: Bette Wahl Subject: Fwd: Please support mass transit amendments

Hi Bette, below is a copy of my email to a councilmember regarding the mass
 transit amendments, incase coalition members would like to speak with or e mail their councilmembers regarding them today. Contact information for cou ncilmembers can be found here: http://www.eauclairewi.gov/e107_plugins/cont ent/content.php?content.20

Jeremy

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Jeremy Gragert <jgragert@gmail.com<mailto:jgragert@gmail.com>> Date: Nov 14, 2007 10:36 PM Subject: Please support mass transit amendments To: rhughes5785@charter.net<mailto:rhughes5785@charter.net>

Councilmember Hughes:

I ask that you support both of the transit-related amendments to the city b udget. I believe transit is one of the most important city services because
 it helps the most vulnerable in our society to be productive city resident s while meeting their own basic needs.

Accessibility to jobs for people of any age, income, or ability is an issue
 that - I hope - we can all agree is critical to both economic stability an d promoting self-reliance. Mass transit provides just that. Furthermore, ma ss transit promotes national security through reducing our dependence upon foreign oil, helping fight global warming, and strengthening economic devel opment.

My understanding is that there is a possibility that state/federal aid to m ass transit could be above the projected 58%. These amendments would allow the city to take advantage of this additional funding (to 60%) without one additional dime of city funds. With dramatically rising fuel costs, it is c ritical we capture this additional $190,000 for fuel while we still can.

I would also like to express my support for funding the summer bus route ci rculating downtown to Carson Park. A route like this will connect people to
 events at both Carson Park and Phoenix Park, as well as to downtown busine sses and the library. This route should have been attempted a long time ago
, and this is our chance to give it a try without the use of city funds.

Many cities have circular routes like this that are great for tourism, and they sometimes have buses outfitted as trolleys take people on the route. I n fact, I know of some city staff who have privately expressed their desire
 to see just that! As we move forward with downtown redevelopment, this cir culating route will connect more people than ever before to the heart of ou r city.

I think students who are around over the summer would really like to have t his route to take them to campus or downtown since the normal university ro utes don't operate over the summer. This route will be very inexpensive to operate because it would use university drivers who are hired on for the wh ole year anyway but don't have routes to drive over the summer.

This summer route is important to me, and I know that the Chippewa Valley M useum would love to have this route because currently no routes go through Carson Park.

Again, this route would only be included if the city transit receives more than 58% it has projected, so both amendments are key to improving transit in Eau Claire. Please vote for both of the transit amendments at Thursday's
 vote on the budget. Thank you!

Jeremy Gragert

451 Lincoln Ave.

Eau Claire, WI 54701