News about the Madison Capital Times

Gragert, Jeremy Evan (GRAGERJE@uwec.edu)
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:12:09 -0600

From: "Gragert, Jeremy Evan" <GRAGERJE@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:12:09 -0600
Subject: News about the Madison Capital Times

Capital Times unveils major shift to Internet

February 7, 2008

Late this spring The Capital Times will dramatically enhance its Internet s ite as well as alter its print frequency from six days to two days per week
 to address changing habits of afternoon newspaper readers, company executi ves announced Thursday.

Publisher Clayton Frink said the newspaper's online site, captimes.com, wil l feature increased volume, depth and timeliness of news, opinion and other
 information. He said the printed edition of the newspaper will expand its distribution by about five times and switch from six-day publication to two
 weekly tabloid-size editions.

"The Capital Times has been a progressive media voice in Madison for 90 yea rs, and this move allows us to preserve that legacy and, in fact, reach far
 more people than ever before," Frink said.

Beginning April 30, the news and opinion edition of The Capital Times will be published on Wednesdays. It will be distributed with home-delivered Wisc onsin State Journal subscriptions throughout and just beyond Dane County an d offered free throughout the Madison area in newspaper racks. It will offe r in-depth news and public affairs stories as well as the newspaper's highl y regarded opinion and commentary content, Frink said.

The Capital Times will also produce a weekly arts, entertainment and cultur e section that will be distributed on Thursdays with the Wisconsin State Jo urnal and offered free in newspaper racks in the Madison area. It will repl ace the current Rhythm publication, which is co-produced with the State Jou rnal and appears in both newspapers.

With its new distribution, The Capital Times will have a circulation of mor e than 80,000. Current circulation is 17,072. The date of final daily publi cation is Saturday, April 26. Subscribers of The Capital Times will receive
 a letter in coming weeks with information about their account.

It was also announced that Paul Fanlund will become editor of The Capital T imes, effective immediately, having been executive editor since August 2006
. "We believe our plan to combine an outstanding news and information web s ite with in-depth, magazine-style weekly tabloids is on the mark for the fu ture," Fanlund said. "This move is vital to ensuring the long-term relevanc e of the Cap Times."

Fanlund assumes the role in which Dave Zweifel has served since 1983. The 6 7-year-old Zweifel announced he will assume the new title of editor emeritu s. He will continue to write his regular columns for the newspaper's websit e and Wednesday edition and oversee the paper's opinion content with Associ ate Editor John Nichols.

"Our founder, William T. Evjue, had to make many tough decisions to ensure The Capital Times success through the years he ran the newspaper," Zweifel said. "Just as he had to deal with the changing technology of his day, we'r e making these changes to ensure that his vision of Wisconsin progressivism
 and his insistence that a newspaper must champion truth and justice for al l the people will continue far into the future."

"Moving our resources to the web is the wave of the future," Zweifel added.
 "Thousands of readers are already using captimes.com and, frankly, we're o ften blown away by the volume of responses we get to columns and stories at
 a time when we're devoting limited resources to the site. Putting the full
 force our newsroom on the site will extend the reach and relevance of The Capital Times for years and years to come."

The changes will result in a smaller workforce in The Capital Times newsroo m and in other areas of Capital Newspapers, though the size of the change h as not been finalized. A voluntary separation program for employees will be
 part of the transition.

As an afternoon newspaper, The Capital Times circulation had reached its pe ak in 1966. Publishing for afternoon distribution was once a coveted positi on in newspapering, but almost all p.m. newspapers in two-newspaper markets
 have disappeared over the past two decades.

The Capital Times was created in 1917 by the late William T. Evjue as a pro gressive media voice and that tradition continues today. He founded the pap er at the height of World War I and in the early years his newspaper surviv ed several advertising boycotts to become the dominant paper in the Madison
 area.

In 1948, Evjue reached an agreement with Lee Enterprises, the owners of the
 Wisconsin State Journal, to form a new corporation that was then named Mad ison Newspapers, Inc. Although the agreement combined the advertising, circ ulation and production departments of the newspapers, it ensured two comple tely independent newsrooms. Because there was now just one press, The Capit al Times elected to continue in the afternoon while the State Journal took the morning field and the Sunday newspaper.

The Capital Times Co. and Lee Enterprises continue to each own 50 percent o f what today is known as Capital Newspapers, which in addition to publishin g The Capital Times and the Wisconsin State Journal, owns the Portage Daily
 Register, Baraboo News-Republic, Beaver Dam Citizen and several weeklies a nd shoppers in south central Wisconsin.

When Evjue died in 1970, his will directed that the William T. Evjue Charit able Trust hold his controlling stock in The Capital Times and that the pro ceeds be given to The Evjue Foundation, which he established several years before his death. Today, the foundation annually contributes more than $2 m illion to local cultural, educational and non-profit community projects and
 will continue to do so.