The whole statute

Nowlan, Bob (RANOWLAN@uwec.edu)
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:33:09 -0500

From: "Nowlan, Bob" <RANOWLAN@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:33:09 -0500
Subject: The whole statute

Below is the whole 11.36 (and I've highlighted the relevant section in red)
. I think this may clarify matters--and it's better than I could have hop ed, as it seems we're only talking about election of a person to national o ffice, and every other form of political activity seems permissible. I wi ll await further clarification on this, but I wish Karen Stuber would have sent me 11.36.5 as that strikes me as _the_ key section.

Bob

*****

11.36 Political solicitation involving public officials

and employees restricted. (1) No person may solicit or

receive from any state officer or employee or from any officer or

employee of the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics

Authority any contribution or service for any political purpose

while the officer or employee is engaged in his or her official

duties, except that an elected state official may solicit and receive

services not constituting a contribution from a state officer or

employee or an officer or employee of the University of Wisconsin

Hospitals and Clinics Authority with respect to a referendum

only. Agreement to perform services authorized under this subsection

may not be a condition of employment for any such officer

or employee.

(2) No person may solicit or receive from any officer or

employee of a political subdivision of this state any contribution

or service for any political purpose during established hours of

employment or while the officer or employee is engaged in his or

her official duties.

(3) Every person who has charge or control in a building,

office or room occupied for any purpose by this state, by any political

subdivision thereof or by the University of Wisconsin Hospitals

and Clinics Authority shall prohibit the entry of any person

into that building, office or room for the purpose of making or

receiving a contribution.

(4) No person may enter or remain in any building, office or

room occupied for any purpose by the state, by any political subdivision

thereof or by the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and

Clinics Authority or send or direct a letter or other notice thereto

for the purpose of requesting or collecting a contribution.

(5) In this section, "political purpose" includes an act done for

the purpose of influencing the election or nomination for election

of a person to national office, and "contribution" includes an act

done for that purpose.

(6) This section does not apply to response by a legal custodian

or subordinate of the custodian to a request to locate, reproduce

or inspect a record under s. 19.35, if the request is processed

in the same manner as the custodian or subordinate responds to

other requests to locate, reproduce or inspect a record under s.

19.35.