Poem for Gaza's Children (from zmag.org)

Wahome, Kimamo (WAHOMEK@uwec.edu)
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:49:27 -0600

From: "Wahome, Kimamo" <WAHOMEK@uwec.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:49:27 -0600
Subject: Poem for Gaza's Children (from zmag.org)

And there we wept: poem for Gaza's children

By Vincent Walsh<http://www.zmag.org/blog/walsh> at Jan 4, 2009 Hush, little one Make no sound Though the bombs are falling Your agonized screams drown In the eerie death whistles Of missiles as they strike Down from the heavens Man, in his sauvé sophistication Has expropriated the wrath of god Made it his own Usurped the power to render judgment And dispense punishment Even unto matters of birth and murder

Funny how you figure Your children are precious Sacrosanct Yet little ones of those You call "Other" do not matter They are sub-human, non-beings Of no consequence for profitability And therefore irrelevant Bereft of the right to prosper Any decent chance to live.

Go back, my child This is not a good time For you to arrive. Go back and tell them It's better to wait

Please stop your screaming For it'll do no good I know the pain is maddening Especially since you can't understand You've no way to comprehend What is happening to you Much less why.

We hold ourselves responsible Because we drew you forth. It seemed like a natural impulse At the time But now the horizon is on fire I guess the power tripping And the money stashing Have finally driven them all mad Completely berserk Out of control at last I wonder if we'll survive The final blast And find myself concluding It'd be better if we didn't.

We are sorry, child For bringing you into a world Riddled with so much pain A nightmare for the living Created by the insane Your shrieks are in vain All your anger stirs Not a single complaint From the all-powerful The neo-whatever priesthood Who laugh in the face of love.