RE: "Clean Living Way to Beat Cancer"

Kemp, Theresa D. (TKEMP@uwec.edu)
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:06:06 -0600

From: "Kemp, Theresa D." <TKEMP@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:06:06 -0600
Subject: RE: "Clean Living Way to Beat Cancer"

Thanks, Kimamo. Here's a potentially handy list ranking the most heavily pesticide laden produce to the least "dirty": http://www.foodnews.org/wall etguide.php

See also http://www.foodnews.org/

Theresa

From: sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.edu [mailto: [mailto:sfpj-request@listserve.uwec.e du] On Behalf Of Wahome, Kimamo Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:07 AM To: SFPJ Subject: FW: "Clean Living Way to Beat Cancer"

FYi

[cid:[cid:image001.jpg@01C997F8.9B82E460]

Clean living way to beat cancer Over 40% of breast and bowel cancer cases in rich countries are preventable
 through diet, physical activity and weight control alone, experts say. Simple measures like cycling to work and swapping fatty foods for fruit can
 make all the difference for these and many other cancers, they say. Globally, each year there are millions of these preventable cancer cases, t he World Cancer Research Fund estimates. Its report makes recommendations for "clean living" policies.
" After not smoking, it is clear that diet, physical activity and weight ar e the most important things people can do to reduce their cancer risk " Professor Mike Richards National Clinical Director for Cancer According to the report, about a third of the 12 most common cancers in hig h-income countries and about a quarter in lower income countries could be p revented through diet, exercise and weight control. This include cancers of the throat, lung and bowel. The figures do not take into account the impact of smoking, which alone acc ounts for about a third of cancers. The panel of 23 experts who compiled the report say urgent action is needed
 to avert a crisis, with cancer rates set to increase. Not inevitable Professor Martin Wiseman, project director, said: "We are expecting a subst antial increase in cancer rates with the ageing population, obesity rates s oaring, and with people becoming less active and increasingly consuming hig hly processed and energy dense foods and drinks. The good news is that this
 is not inevitable." Panel chair Professor Sir Michael Marmot said: "This report shows that by m aking relatively straightforward changes, we could significantly reduce the
 number of cancer cases around the world." The report says all sections of society "from governments to households" sh ould make public health, and cancer prevention in particular, a higher prio rity. Among the 48 recommendations is the advice for schools and workplaces to ac tively encourage physical activity and ban unhealthy food. Governments should require widespread walking and cycling routes to encoura ge physical activity. And the people who do the weekly food shopping for their family should chec k food labels to make sure the food they buy is healthy. Professor Mike Richards, National Clinical Director for Cancer, said: "The evidence linking diet, physical activity, obesity and cancer has become str onger over the last decade and this report can play a part in people adopti ng healthier lifestyles.
"After not smoking, it is clear that diet, physical activity and weight are
 the most important things people can do to reduce their cancer risk." Major step forward Dr Francesco Branca, Head of Nutrition at the World Health Organization, ca lled the report a major step forward in understanding how policies and acti ons can help prevent cancer and other chronic diseases. He said: "The recommendations will inspire policy-makers and decision-taker s to act in a way that will play an important role in the fight against can cer." Richard Davidson, of the charity Cancer Research UK said around 13,000 canc er cases in the UK were linked to being overweight or obese, and even more were linked to poor diet, drinking too much alcohol and not doing enough ex ercise. He said: "Doing nothing could be disastrous.
"There is no magic bullet, no one single fix to the problem. If we are to t ackle the situation we need individuals, business and government to work to gether to encourage healthy lifestyles by promoting things like cycle lanes
 and food labelling." Estimated percentage of cancers that could be prevented

US

UK

Brazil

China

Mouth, pharynx & larynx

63

67

63

44

Oesophagus

69

75

60

44

Lung

36

33

36

38

Stomach

47

45

41

33

Pancreas

39

41

34

14

Gallbladder

21

16

10

6

Bowel

45

43

37

17

Liver

15

17

6

6

Breast

38

42

28

20

Endometrium (womb)

70

56

52

34

Prostate

11

20

n/a

n/a

Kidney

24

19

13

8

12 cancers combined

34

39

30

27

All cancers

24

26

19

20

World Cancer Research Fund

UWEC soccer mission statement We start as individuals that possess class, emotion, positive attitudes, de termination to succeed, we are relentless and aggressive.

We come together to play as a team with respect, unity, confidence, and enc ouragement. Everyday we push each other and come ready to play with a winni ng attitude. We create our own outcomes by setting goals and not making exc uses.

We leave as successful individuals who have gained from our experiences as a Blugold athlete and student. We carry these experiences with us into our futures.

image001.jpg