Re: Jail Vote Imminent, Please read

Pope, Karen O. (POPEKJ@uwec.edu)
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:39:59 -0500

From: "Pope, Karen O." <POPEKJ@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:39:59 -0500
Subject: FW: Jail Vote Imminent, Please read

I know these meetings are during spring break, but if you can email/call/wr ite these committee members with your opinion, your message will have a big
 impact on their decision-making. I include the list of special committee members at the end of this forward. The reason this committee exists and i s considering alternatives at all is that a group of actual interested citi zens raised their voices to object to both the location and expense of a do wntown jail. Let's support them.

Karen

________________________________________ From: eileendtp@gmail.com [eileendtp@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Eileen Immerma n [eileendtp@aol.com] Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:46 PM Subject: Jail Vote Imminent, Please read

I am passing this on not because I agree or disagree with the following, yo u all must make your own minds up, but since this is finally "down to the w ire", if you want your voice to be heard, the time is NOW. Please feel fre e, in fact I would encourage you to share this with friends and neighbors.
 Read on:

Hi Everyone: 3 HUGE things: 1) It's down to the wire for the Special Committee; they very likely WILL VOTE...DOWNTOWN VS. REMOTE SITE at their next meeting. It's too close to call, but they actually might vot e in favor of a downtown jail expansion. This despite a long list of reason s why an expansion belongs on a larger remote site; reasons such as:

       * At current site, inevitable future expansion would be impossible
;
       * Expansion at current site would eliminate prospects for 1st Ave.
 development, an ideal location for revenue opportunties;
       * All 25 jail expansion plans at current site shoehorn jail/justic e center needs into insufficient acreage and clumsy design for effective op eration;
       * Issues remain with proximity to river, historic neighborhood, ch urches, schools;
       * And the list goes on. . .. SOOO. . .

WE NEED YOUR HELP!!

Please contact Special Committee members to say that you - and the citizens
 of Eau Claire - remain opposed to a jail expansion downtown. It's so impo rtant that they hear from you! Spec. Comm member contact info is attached.
  Call them, please!

2) CAJE Meeting: This MONDAY, MARCH 16, 6 pm, First Congregational Church
 (3rd and Broadway). We need all of you there to help strategize how to be st swing the vote in favor of a remote site.

3) Special Committee Meeting: Next THURSDAY, MARCH 19, 6:30 pm, County Co urthouse, Rm 2550. It's soooo important that you. . .

 * COME: We need to pack the house to show our opposition to a jail expa nsion downtown. Please come and show your support.
 * SPREAD THE WORD. . .tell lots of people -- Let's turnout and fill the room with citizens from our community to witness this vote.

SPREAD THE WORD.........PLEASE COME! Much THANKS
 --Kris MacCallum CAJE (Citizens for Accountable Jail Expansion)

1) Colleen Bates, Chair

405 Skyline Dr.

Eau Claire, WI 54703

835-9813