Re: Fri., June. 19, 4pm to 6pm - Iraq Moratorium 'Stand' - Come and show Eau Claire you want our troops OUT of Iraq AND Afghanistan

Pope, Karen O. (POPEKJ@uwec.edu)
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:58:42 -0500

From: "Pope, Karen O." <POPEKJ@uwec.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:58:42 -0500
Subject: FW: Fri., June. 19, 4pm to 6pm - Iraq Moratorium 'Stand' - Come and show Eau Claire you want our troops OUT of Iraq AND Afghanistan

fyi in case you have an hour to stand for peace.

Karen

________________________________________ From: Lou_Recine [recinelouis@sbcglobal.net] Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:10 AM To: recinelouis@sbcglobal.net Subject: Fri., June. 19, 4pm to 6pm - Iraq Moratorium 'Stand' - Come and sh ow Eau Claire you want our troops OUT of Iraq AND Afghanistan

The Lord give you peace! (Greeting of St. Francis of Assisi) As-Salaamu `Aleykum

WHERE: Corner of Bracket Avenue and Business US Hwy 53 (right next to Jimmy Woo's - now called Red Parrott). WHEN: Come for as long or short as you like: Fri., June 19, 4pm to 6pm. WHAT: Public demonstration to express desire to see US military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan ended

If at all possible, bring a sign (small or large), though others will likely be bringing signs, so don't let a lack thereof for you prevent you from coming! Show Eau Claire that we want to bring an end to these wars!!

Whether you can come or not, PLEASE - ON FRIDAY, JUNE 19- call or email your federal Wisconsin Senators and your Representative and let them know you want them to work to bring our troops home from Iraq!

Please know that the current Status of Forces Agreement (S.O.F.A.) between Iraq and the U.S. does NOT prevent the U.S. from giving Iraq one-year's notice that we are withdrawing all combat forces. You could also express that you'd like to see Congressional approval of the S.O.F.A. (such approval does not currently exist).

Take the opportunity as well to express your views about US military involvement in Afghanistan - are we doing more harm than good? See further below (below my signature line) for info on how to contact your legislators. To the best of my knowledge, the phone numbers are accurate.

On a personal note: I am convinced we (each of US, individually) need to continue to keep our own consciousness about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan raised and KEPT raised.

If you and I, who have participated in outdoor demonstrations and other activities against the wars are not deeply, persistently, and CONSTANTLY desirous to see an END to what our government calls responsible, constructive "policy" in Iraq and Afghanistan, Americans against these wars will never reach the critical mass needed to stop our country from perpetrating military intervention after military intervention around the world, over and over and over again instead of positive, constructive engagement and cooperation with other nations.

Amongst the many, many good online educational sources out there, here are two: 1) http://rethinkafghanistan.com/

2) Check out parts 1 and 2 of a moving documentary (total running time=approx 16 minutes), at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPEX0PnV-LU

The documentary is about a brave, innovative Iraqi who took a trip across the United States engaging with various people in conversations about the war in Iraq, its background and impact as well as other social and political topics in an attempt to reach a better understanding of both sides. He is a graduate of Baghdad University and at the time the video was done, had moved to New York to obtain a Masters degree and go back to his home country.

Peace and all good to you, Lou, SFO
(Secular Franciscan Order) http://v4pi.blogspot.com/

Legislators contact info:

Russ Feingold's La Crosse office ph#: (608) 782-5585 Feingolds'Washington D.C. office ph#: (202) 224-5323

Herb Kohl's Eau Claire office ph#: (715) 832-8424 Kohl's Washington D.C. ph#: (202) 224-5653 Toll-free, Herb Kohl: 800-247-5645

Ron Kind's Eau Claire office ph#: (715) 831-9214 Kind's Washington D.C. ph#: (202) 225-5506

If Ron Kind is not your representative, you can find your Representatives at: http://www.house.gov/writerep/ (once you get to the web page of your Representative, you should be able to find one or more phone numbers there for your Representative, as well as the ability to email Kind.

For emailing purposes, find your Senator's web sites at: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm; there will be a web form you can use.

You can find out more about Iraq Moratorium at:

Iraq Moratorium in Wisconsin - http://www.iraqmoratoriumwis.blogspot.com/

Iraq Moratorium, National - http://www.iraqmoratorium.com/