Re: Open hours for historic house museums

JAMES STROSCHEIN (stromedia@verizon.net)
Fri, 16 May 2008 13:30:38 -0500

Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:30:38 -0500
From: JAMES STROSCHEIN <stromedia@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Open hours for historic house museums

Currently we have a very minimal budget for house tour promotion. We place an ad in the annual Chamber of Commerce visitor guide, we have one or two sandwich boards that we place near the commercial district
(one of the boards has a small box with lid that contains brochures), we hang posters downtown, we send group emails to our Chamber's list, and we distribute both our newsletter and our brochures to downtown restaurants and galleries.

Our hours are 1-5 Friday & Sat. and 11 am - 2 pm on Sundays. We don't generally invest in advertising that gets only one viewing, such as a newspaper ad that is glanced at once and is bird cage liner the next day. We used to be open 1-5 Sundays but, if you want to catch the tourist, we found they want to do something after breakfast on Sunday and then hit the road. By 2 pm the tourist is gone.

But having said all that, we don't think "chasing the tourist" is a very good business strategy for a historical society. For us, house tours are currently only slightly better than a "break even" proposition. We generate income in other ways, including a solid year-end Annual Campaign that touts all of the educational and fun activities that we do throughout the year. We ask our members for additional gifts to support those activities and they come through for us. We also have a very good newsletter that keeps our name and activities in front of the membership 4 times a year.

One other thing that you might consider: if you have a board member who can deliver a good 90-second elevator speech, ask them to work it into any appropriate public gatherings, such as at the town ice cream social or during a break in a concert or between speakers. We have free music concerts at Orchard Lawn, called Jammin' on the Porch, (the second Friday of each month in summer) and before the show or during the break, one of our board members comes to the microphone and touts house tours and the historical society in general. We get good responses from this.

I've even been known to ask for volunteers in this way, and then send a signup sheet around.

I hope some of this helps, Janice. This exchange is another great benefit of this list serve. I think we all face similar challenges.

Jim Stroschein President, Mineral Point Historical Society