Marketing affordable trips for families

Cynthia Arbiture (musprosvc@gdinet.com)
Fri, 16 May 2008 14:18:33 -0500

From: "Cynthia Arbiture" <musprosvc@gdinet.com>
Subject: Marketing affordable trips for families
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 14:18:33 -0500

Dear Friends in History,

I think it would be a really good opportunity for the WCLH and the Wisconsin Historical Society to collectively market the rich resource of historic places to visit in Wisconsin. I have been hearing on the local news that many families are looking for affordable things to do this summer without traveling too far, because of high gas prices. They called it a "Staycation" on the news. I have also heard of "Trips on a Tank" being marketed, where a family can get away for a day, and go "up and back" to an affordable destination on one tank of gas. I think marketing all of the historic sites across the state would be the way to go with a unified marketing campaign like this, thus raising awareness of Wisconsin's rich collective history.

Perhaps the Wisconsin Dept. of Tourism in cooperation with local newspapers, and radio stations, and the internet could help get out the word about visiting WI historical sites as a great affordable option for families this summer? Maybe most of the promotion could be done as public service messages? Just wanted to share a few things I've been thinking about.

Thank you,

Cindy Arbiture President Concord Historical Society, Inc. info@musprosvc.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janice Dibble" <Dibble@oshkoshpubliclibrary.org> To: <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 12:14 PM Subject: Open hours for historic house museums

Our members volunteer on weekends during the summer to give tours of our Morgan House. It's always a struggle to find the right hours and best promotion (with very low $ budget for promotion).
(1) What hours work for you in terms of highest attendance? Has anyone found week days or nights successful and/or other times of the year
(excluding Holiday Season, which we also open up for)
(2) What promotional methods have worked best?
(3) We mostly get out-of-towners in the summer -- is that your experience?

Thanks for any feedback, Janice for Winn. County Historical Society

Janice Dibble dibble@oshkoshpubliclibrary.org Head of Reference & Adult Serv. Oshkosh Public Library 920.236.5214 ph 920.236.5227 fax www.oshkoshpubliclibrary.org