RE: Invitation

Rita Frakes (rita42@centurytel.net)
Sun, 18 May 2008 21:11:53 -0500

From: "Rita Frakes" <rita42@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Invitation
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 21:11:53 -0500

The village of Mazomanie lets the society use the building at no charge and pays the utilities except phone. The building was originally the electric power generating plant. It also allows us to use a small building rent free for storage. Two private individuals allow us use of storage space in their structures. Our Research Center is located in the public library also a village building, at no expense to the society.

Our best fundraiser is the Benefactor Fund. We send a mailing in Dec. to members, businesses and organizations requesting money. We have raised
$5,000.-9,000. annually and it costs us printing and postage. Volunteers help with printing and mailing. This fund is solely for the purpose of providing money to fund the parttime curator's position. Although it doesn't cover that expense entirely, it saves us from dipping into our general fund. We recognize the benefactors in a newsletter, a posting in the museum, and a thank you note.

For a small village pop. 1,500, and small society with very limited funds, this is the easiest, quickest way to raise funds. It would take a lot of bake sales or pancake breakfasts to raise this kind of money.

We have received several grants which require matching funds through the WI Historical Society/Council of Local History and the Dane County Cultural Affairs Commission. Although small grants they have enabled us mount new exhibits, purchase archival supplies and shelving, and enabled us to remodel and old bathroom, add a hotwater heater, etc.

In 2007 we held a silent auction for cemetery urns (as is, most complete, 2 partials) and we raised almost $1,400. However, a society has to be very, very careful of disposing of anything in its possession and it important that the public and members understand we only accept artifacts, photographs, and archival materials that we want. A donor might give something specifically for raising funds and that is quite a different matter.

In June we are going to dispose of several travel and storage trunks and suitcases, method to be determined yet, but probably by silent auction. Some are in deplorable condition, others duplicates, and most with NO relevant history, so they do not meet our mission statement. Most were donated in the 1970s when accepting almost anything might have been acceptable. Now, due to storage space, we have begun to access artifacts, and "clean out the community attic" so to speak. It is going to be a long process with some tough decision-making being made. Although, at first over-whelming, now that we have begun the process, it is exciting and the end result will be more storage space, a truly better and more consise, useable collection.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I certainly am reading all the info. from each of you; the sharing/networking is so valuable.

Our museum opens Sun. May 25 for the season; is open holidays, Sundays, and Wednesdays, 1-4pm., through Labor Day weekend, or by appointment, 608-795-2992. Our Research Room is open by appointment. Contact our Research Historian, Virgil Matz at 608-767-2305 or Research Historian, Virgil Matz at 608-767-2305 or vmatz@tds.net.

Rita Frakes, Curator, MHS

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu]On Behalf Of leeplace Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:05 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Invitation

A couple of questions to all Societies.

1) How did you get your buildings? Through donation from private individual, town owns, you bought yourself... 2) What is your best money maker regarding fund development? Public/Private donations, events, raffles... TIA! Packwaukee Historical Society

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marjorie Eid" <marjneid@athenet.net> To: <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: May 18, 2008 2:07 PM Subject: Invitation

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.