Re: Invitation

Lee Erdmann (lerdmann@centurytel.net)
Tue, 20 May 2008 07:36:42 -0500

From: "Lee Erdmann" <lerdmann@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: Invitation
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 07:36:42 -0500

The Berlin Area Historical Society are guardians of 4 buildings....Our main museum is a two-story brick home, origninally built as a laundry and residence. There is an extended carriage house on the property that was once a soda factory. These two buildings were partially purchased and partially donated (price was reduced for the Society). The two story building holds the major portion of our collections and the carriage house is a "work in progress" and storage right now. On the same block we also have a former blacksmith shop that now serves as our Transportation/Tools exhibit. This building was donated. Our fourth building is a one-room schoolhouse that was sold to us for $1 and we got donated services to move the structure to one of Berlin's parks. The city allows us space in the park, but the building belongs to and is the responsibility of the Historical Society.

At the time of the acquisition of the 1st two buildings an endowment fund was established with donations received to help buy the buildings and the interest (which is getting less all the time) is used for operating expenses and collections acquisition. Otherwise we use membership fees, donations from visitors to our museums and other donations. We sponsored an event called "Victorian Days" for three years which brought us some funds, we also hold a "Ghost Walk" in our local city-owned cemetery in October that is also a money maker for us. This year, instead of Victorian Days (which is a lot of work and expensive to put on), we opted for a new event, an "Antique's Appraisal Day" that was a lot less work and made us almost the same amount of money as the Victorian Days had.

Our Society is very small and any events we do takes almost the entire membership. We try not to plan too many because we don't want people burned out. Our goal these last few years has been to "get our name out there" and become more known in our own community. We had sponsored a Chamber "After 5" event, held an open house with refreshments after the Annual Christmas parade and put up displays in the Chamber office window to remind people that we exist. That has brought us a few more members, some archives acquititions, but mostly recognition.

This week we are releasing a book that we had published about the Mascoutin Indians. We are hoping to make enough funds from the sale of the book to put up some kind of monument to these "early Wisconsin and Berlin area residents."

Hope this answers some of your questions. Bobbie Erdmann, Berlin Area Historical Society.

----- Original Message ----- From: "leeplace" <leeplace@maqs.net> To: <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:04 PM Subject: Re: Invitation