Re: Trunk sale

Don Jensen (dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com)
Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:34:36 -0500

From: "Don Jensen" <dnjkenosha@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Trunk sale
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:34:36 -0500

This is an interesting, and a bit surprising, posting. I have always heard that it is not considered good museum practice to auction or sell locally items which are deaccessioned from one's collection. If deaccessioned items are sold at all, I was of the impression that they should be auctioned "far from home." The reasoning is -- or so I learned -- is that selling such items locally gives potential future donors the wrong impression. They may be reluctant to donate artifacts if they believe their gifts, too, will be sold, not preserved.

Obviously, any museum will have to deaccession items from time to time. And donors know, at least theoretically, that when a museum accepts an item it may not be forever. And maybe there is no one left alive who donated any of the trunks in question.

Nonetheless, for an institution dededicated to preservation, publically and locally selling historical items from its collection can leave an unfortunate impression that it is little better than an antique store. At least that is what museum professionals have told me.

What is the practice at other museums?

Don Jensen Kenosha History Center, member BoD