Re: Collections Policies

Susan McLeod (s.mcleod@cvmuseum.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:51:28 -0500

From: "Susan McLeod" <s.mcleod@cvmuseum.com>
Subject: Re: Collections Policies
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:51:28 -0500

Hi, Don,

There is a lot of thinking that has gone into the models for museum collection and ethics policies. I'm certainly not an authority on all the possibilities but here are some of the ideas I have paid special attention to.

The American Association of Museums and American Association of State and Local History both have model policies that address the touchy issue of deaccessioning. (I believe both could direct you to model collections and ethics policies through their websites.) Appropriate deaccessioning has been the subject of serious debate in the museum field. Transfer to another museum is appropriate. Public sale is appropriate, although, if the sale is local, it raises the tricky issues of donor perception that were in yesterday's discussion. (I believe the situation you have described falls here.)

The reasons for deaccession are also important. A collections policy should outline the approved reasons to deaccession an item. Some typical ones are excessive duplication of a type of material in the collection, further research has found that an object is outside the scope of the collection, condition has deteriorated beyond hope of preservation. Deaccessioning one of your Monets to pay the light bill is not an appropriate reason.

What you do with the proceeds of deaccession sales is important. Some of the ethics statements say such proceeds can only be used for acquisitions. That doesn't make sense for certain collections, so some statements are broader and allow care of collections as well as acquisitions.

Lots to think about! Susan McLeod Director Chippewa Valley Museum