RE: Postcards

Rita Frakes (rita42@centurytel.net)
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:34:58 -0500

From: "Rita Frakes" <rita42@centurytel.net>
Subject: RE: Postcards
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:34:58 -0500

This is an excellent idea! Our society began mailing postcards in our possession but not related to the Mazomanie area, to the appropriate historical societies or institutions, this past year. We have had thank-yous from them; even if they might be duplicates, sometimes one might be in better condition than the one(s) already in a collection.

We have also mailed other paper items such as brochures, calendars
(especially business-related freebies), etc. to the appropriated site. We found an appropriate historical society for railroad materials which had absolutely no connection to Mazomanie. That society in Ill. paid for the shipping of the same, although we have not always asked for the shipping costs. Our first choice in disposing of anything that does not relate to our mission statement is to find a society or site for which is is appropriate and then giving the same to it. Many of these items were taken in years ago, never properly accessioned and really do not belong here.

The days of accepting everything and anything, especially if it was "old" no longer exist. A strong mission statement and an acquisitions committee guides us in our accepting or rejecting that which is offered or left at the back door.

Rita, Curator Mazomanie Historical Society

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu]On Behalf Of Sara Steele Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:37 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Postcards

Hi

Destinee used antique postcards as a quick example but it triggered this thought.May we use this listserve to alert each other if a postcard comes in that another Historical Society might want?

Our Cottage Grove Area HIstorical Society's photo archivist, Dennis Bork, acres@chorus.net searches Ebay and post card shows for post cards with a Cottage Grove post mark or mailed to someone at Cottage Grove. He has gotten some great photos for our photo collection from such postcards as well as having fun tracing the history of some of the buildings shown. We would appreciate it if you would let Dennis know if you chance on one related to Cottage Grove that your group does not want.

Sara Steele Text Archivist smsteele@wisc.edu