RE: Archive vs Reference

Knies, Helmut M - WHS (Helmut.Knies@wisconsinhistory.org)
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:57:15 -0500

Subject: RE: Archive vs Reference
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:57:15 -0500
From: "Knies, Helmut M - WHS" <Helmut.Knies@wisconsinhistory.org>

In response to Kathy Lasko's post from yesterday, as well as Bill Gover's original question on Wednesday regarding the difference between an "archive and reference materials," I can add a few comments from here at the Wisconsin Historical Society. I might begin by stating that I had a former professional life as small town museum director, so I won't try to speak only from the knowledge base of the Historical Society in Madison. Overall, Sara Steele has already covered many of the relevant points in her reply from "a practioner standpoint."

I will add this. In your local societies, you will have some body of materials, which may include papers, or photographs, or video/audio, etc. that you define as your collection or collections. I understand that this also includes artifacts, and that the distinction between artifacts and archival materials is often an artificial one at the local level. In any event, you should have items or groups of items that form your collections. If these include papers, photos, ledgers, audio/video newspapers, etc. that forms your archives. The question then is how you manage them, care for them, and let people use them. The collections or items that you own that are of most importance to you, however your institution defines importance based on your mission, organizational documents, collecting policies, and rarity are the ones for which you should have the highest level of "archival" care. What does this include? I would say:

1. Clear ownership documents

2. Some type of access system, inventory, and/or cataloging

3. Security for the collection in a physical space that has some environmental controls

4. Conservation of the collection using some combination of folders, sleeves, and boxes that protects the material

5. Rules about how access is permitted

To get back to the archive-reference distinction, I would say that all archival materials serve a reference function. However, you will know from experience how often and how heavily any of your collections are used. You will probably know that some kinds of things, old newspapers, photos, genealogical indexes get used a lot, while other materials, that may be just as important to your organization's history, are touched only infrequently. Depending on your organization's mission, type of facility, use patterns, and staffing, it may well be useful to create a subset of materials that you treat will less control, but with no less importance, than your archival collections. In many instances you may wish use copies (physical or digital ones), microfilm if you have a reader, or duplicates of original items. Any and all of these could form a reference collection. Doing this allows for easier use by patrons and helps to protect originals or unique items. It does not mean there is no need to control these materials; it's just that they are more accessible, and often they are used on a "self-service" basis. Public libraries often use reference files or collections in such a way to make it easier for their patrons to have access to frequently requested items.

I hope this helps a little. I will be happy to provide additional information as best I can.

Helmut M. Knies

Collection Development Coordinator

Libary-Archives

Wisconsin Historical Society