Re: Archiving Newspapers

Sauk County Historical Society (history@saukcounty.com)
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:07:05 -0500

From: "Sauk County Historical Society" <history@saukcounty.com>
Subject: Re: Archiving Newspapers
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:07:05 -0500

I have asked our local newspaper for a copy of their digital files since they send the paper to the printers digitally. I have offered to wait a few years to get the files if they are worried about public access (I can't see why though) Their reply has been that they don't archive those files and that they go to the presses in pieces instead of as a sheet so there is no complete file for each paper. They delete each days files after the paper is run. It would sure be nice to have a system set up for archiving those files, especially the photos. Does the Wisconsin Historical Society have any clout with the Wisconsin Newspaper Association to start talks on a system like that? Mary Farrell Stieve Sauk County Historical Society P.O. Box 651 531 Fourth Avenue Baraboo, WI 53913 608-356-1001 history@saukcounty.com www.saukcounty.com/schs