RE: Archiving Newspapers

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:04:46 -0500

Subject: RE: Archiving Newspapers
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:04:46 -0500
From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>

Bill,
  Thanks for your question - I'll look forward to hearing how other organizations handle their newspaper collections.
  I have asked Helmut Knies from Library-Archives to respond to the question of digital archives and the Wisconsin Newspaper Association, and he'll do that shortly.
  Most local historical societies have wrestled with what to do with their newspaper collections. In general, we do not recommend that museums keep old newspapers, since most are available through microfilm, or now, in digital format in online search engines. (There are exceptions: some museums like to keep some newspapers for hands-on activities with school groups, others may have rare newspapers, or a collection that has not been microfilmed or digitized.) Newspapers deteriorate quickly and do take up a lot of room.
  You'll learn more about the digital aspect from Helmut Knies, and let us and others know if you have additional questions after reading more.
  Janet
  Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region Wisconsin Historical Society
  c/o Department of History, UW-Eau Claire 105 Garfield Avenue Eau Claire WI 54701 Voice: 715-836-2250 Web: www.wisconsinhistory.org <http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/>