Re: Archiving Newspapers

Knies, Helmut M - WHS (Helmut.Knies@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:53:22 -0500

Subject: Re: Archiving Newspapers
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:53:22 -0500
From: "Knies, Helmut M - WHS" <Helmut.Knies@wisconsinhistory.org>

In answer to the question about "archiving" newspapers, the Library-Archives of the Wisconsin Historical Society is adopting a twofold approach. The first solution is the one that has been in existence for the past sixty years and is still the one that can provide assurance for the long-term, meaning decades or even centuries, preservation of newsprint. That is, we make the attempt to microfilm all Wisconsin local newspapers. Currently, we are receiving close to 300 titles from cities and town all over the state. Most of these are weekly newspapers. We received the papers here and prepare them to filming in our agency's microfilm lab. Additionally, there are a smaller number of daily papers, from larger cities in state, which are already being microfilmed by commercial vendors such as ProQuest or Heritage Microfilming. In these situations, we purchase the microfilm directly from the vendor. Microfilm is, currently, the only long-term stable medium that will assure that the content of the newspaper is accessible and useable into the indefinite future. There are, of course, limits to the usefulness of microfilm, and, increasingly, researchers wish to have the level of access that they can only get from a digital system.

The Wisconsin Historical Society is very much aware of this and is investigating several options to address the needs of preservation balanced with access. One option is that we now have the technology to take microfilm reels and digitize them. In this way we could have a system that preserves the newspaper content and provides easy access. The main limits to this approach are both in the technical standards for the transfer process and in the costs associated with making the scans and then creating a user interface so that the public can search the files. The other option lies in acquiring access to digital newspaper files that already exist. The Wisconsin Historical Society and the Wisconsin Newspaper Association have had some discussions on this topic already. There are digital options available for providing access to currently produced newspapers. Our goal here is find a path that will make one of these options a reality. This will mean solving technical problems of how newspaper files are created, transferred and saved; addressing the newspaper's intellectual property concerns in an adequate manner; finding a means to provide access to the largest possible public audience, directly over the web, using a system that is reliable and cost-effective; and, addressing the major problem, still generally unresolved, about saving digital files over the mid to long-term and being able to count on the accuracy of the data contain within those files.

As we pursue these goals, the Wisconsin Historical Society remains focused on its core mission, as it has been since 1846, to preserve and provide access to the materials that help individuals connect to their own history and to that of the State of Wisconsin.

Helmut

Helmut M. Knies

Collection Development Coordinator

Libary-Archives