Re: Marketing

Sara Steele (smsteele@wisc.edu)
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:50:56 -0500

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:50:56 -0500
From: Sara Steele <smsteele@wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: Marketing

  Hi

  If you want more bus groups to visit, consider getting hold of a list of tour companies and sending your brochure to them? Example, Badger Coaches. Madison; Van Galders' Janesville, companies from the Fox River Valley and Holiday at Eau Clair e (if they do day trips). Also, consider some of the area's smaller groups such as some of the senior centers, or, if you throw in a tea, the Red Hatters probably would love to come visit you. Often groups have one thing they would like to see in a specific place and want to add something else to fill out the day. I've been through a lot of historic houses by means of bus trips.

  You may also want to check with the Chamber of Commerce to see if they do a packet for multi state tour companies and with a tour comany exploring who puts on the conference or seminar that previews intoduces new attrations to tour company managers and planners, once or twice a year thus reaching groups from MN or Chicago.

  Consider also what special features Yawey House has and whether there are any goups in the state who may be sepcially interested in those features. For example, if the ground are beautifully landscaped, you might want to promote to Garden Clubs. Or if the house is furnished with antiques of a particluar period, you mght ask antique shops in the area to post one of your brochures.

  Does theWausau Chamber of Commerce or some other organization work with commercial tour planners in setting up day trips, or in providing a plan for a group spending a certain number of hours at Wausau when they are traveling in the area? If so rather than just hoping that they will share your brochure you may want to see if your local person will plan your HOuse in as part of a Wausua planned day.

  In terms of attracting individual visitors, I'm sure you've thought of giving a few copies to the B and B's in your area.

  If you have docents who love to work children, you probably have distributed the brochure to private as well as public schools in your area or to specific groups of teachers who might find your house more likely to fit into their curriculum. Also consider sharing a copy with Scouts, local 4-h Clubs, the Y, etc.

  Most of the above ideas assume that you have a team of volunteers who can take over the distribution. Doess the distribution center you mention have specailized mailing lists? Or were you primarily thinking to-every-home distribtion in the Wausau which could be served by an insert in a shopper.

  Sara M. Steele
  Cottage Grove Area Historical Society