Re: Question for Town & City Historical Societies

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:24:20 -0500

Subject: FW: Question for Town & City Historical Societies
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:24:20 -0500
From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>

List Serve Members,
  I wanted to share some helpful suggestions on this topic from a colleague in Minnesota. I have noted several examples of this in WI as well.
  Thanks, Janet
  Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region Wisconsin Historical Society
  Post messages, questions, or event notices by sending an email to localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu.
  Review past messages at: http://listserve.uwec.edu/localhistory
<http://listserve.uwec.edu/localhistory> .

  The one thing we've found in MN is that when people ask a city for money and only have an amount out front, it fails. The politicians focus on
"well, $50,000 would put another cop on the street, take two homeless families into an apartment, etc." On the other hand, if the historical society focuses on providing a real, tangible service on behalf of the city at a very reasonable cost, then the public can rally behind that and the politicians have less wiggle room.
  For example, one could propose that the historical society will care for the city's official records (State Archives permitting, of course) in a professional manner so that over-worked city employees won't have to assist a steady stream of genealogists seeking family history, and all for the modest investment of $1 per resident each year. Or, whatever the small amount turns out to be, once they've estimated operational expenses. A good estimate to figure operational expenses is at least
$12-$15/square foot every year.