RE: Cataloging Photos

Kraushaar, Andy W - WHS (Andy.Kraushaar@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:15:41 -0500

Subject: RE: Cataloging Photos
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:15:41 -0500
From: "Kraushaar, Andy W - WHS" <Andy.Kraushaar@wisconsinhistory.org>

Barbara,
  These numbers appear to be the same numbers as used in our classified file index created by Paul Vanderbilt in the 1950s. These were originally derived from his work at the Library of Congress with Roy Stryker while working with the photographs of the Farm Security Adminstration. Vanderbilt may have suggested this system to your Society many years ago. I would be happy to talk with you about this. Please contact me off list since I don't think it relates to others on the list.

<mailto:Andy.Kraushaar@wisconsinhistory.org>
  Andy Kraushaar Visual Materials Curator Library-Archives Division Wisconsin Historical Society 816 State Street Madison, WI 53706 Andy.Kraushaar@Wisconsinhistory.org
(608) 264-6481
  Wisconsin Historical Images www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/

Subscribe to our monthly email updates! www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/subscribe/
  WHS Images on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/whsimages
<https://mail.wisconsin.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.flickr
.com/photos/whsimages>

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu on behalf of Barbara Sent: Mon 8/25/2008 9:34 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Cataloging Photos

Hello, This is a repeat request for information. I did receive one reply in April but I need more input. Thank you! The Franklin Historical Society began cataloging its photos in the late 1970's. New leadership has taken over; therefore we would like to know what guide was used to apply numbers to the various categories. Example of a few categories and their numbers are:
        Residence-Farms - P416
        Transportation - Horse Drawn Vehicles - P505
        One-Room Schools - P37565 Can someone identify this system and advise me of a resource to continue this system. We are at a loss at this time. Also, what is currently being used today by small societies.

Barbara Pforr Franklin Historical Society