Re: Re:Tom- Picasa Cataloging Photos

Tom Duescher (tduescher@subnet-tech.com)
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:18:36 -0500

From: "Tom Duescher" <tduescher@subnet-tech.com>
Subject: Re: Re:Tom- Picasa Cataloging Photos
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 16:18:36 -0500

Sara,

The photo collection in Kaukauna is 2500 Photos that were scanned and uploaded to Picasa. Another collection for Kewaunee County has 18,000 Thumbnails in the collection.

If you go to Picasa on the web it steps you through setting up a new account. and you can have a web presence for your historical photos in under 30 minutes.

A version of Picasa is downloaded and installed on a PC (Free download) This allows the uploading of any scanned images to Picasa that is on line - Standard JPEG images and many other format images are allowed. The "Owner" of the account has control over setting the image collection as Public or Private and many other settings.

When the images are uploaded (a maximum of 500 Images in each photo album. The free limit is 5 GB or about 5,000 images. From what I have seen not many community or County societies have more than this. More photos can be stored for a small fee for the additional storage
(Unlimited number of photos).

Captioning and tagging is performed by the Owner(s) of the account and allows multiple people to be captioning at the same time from home if desired. Since the entire caption is entered into the search engine no specific format is required for formatting. We chose to use our internal Photo ID, Subject if known, Date if known, source if known,. Additional information can be added.

Searching for any word in the caption can be performed in the collection. For example the search word "School" will include every photo that had the word "School" somewhere in the caption.

Subject categories can be created and are called tags. These tags are also searched with the search engine.

Since the owner sets a password for the collection only people holding the password can add captions. However anyone can send a note back to the owner with additional information that they may know about a specific image. We use this to add caption information and identify photos. We have had people assist in adding captions from across the nation.

The collections can be set for private if preferred allowing the owner to send a specific link of a collection to a group of people (A society membership as an example) They would be able to view the collection but the collection would not be viewable by the general public.

These features are all standard within Picasa, we just utilize them to fit the need of Historical societies where they want to be able to share the collection and keep the collection "Alive" with additional information being added by the public.

Because the collection is stored on the Web - it provides another safety of the images being backed up away from the historical society or the computer that the images are being stored on.

We accept donated photos and add the source of each photo to the caption- giving credit where it is due. Some photos have been donated
"Years ago" and no credits are given.

We also have used this to store cemetery headstone photos and have the surname in the caption. This allows people to search for a surname and browse the headstones of interest in a "Vitual cemetery".

The searching engine is very fast and finds the images based on the keywords or tags on each photo.

Photos can also be printed to create a hardcopy photo album for people to browse.

Like you we search for photos when doing newsletters to find an image appropriate to the newsletter topic.

Hopefully this helps. We had tried other "Professional" programs that are designed for Museums, etc that are very pricey with annual software maintenance costs and was found to be difficult to learn for infrequent volunteers. This solution is Fast, Easy to learn and use and Free and gives web access and a great backup solution as well.

Tom