Reply Re: Responses on cataloguing photos

MPHS (MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org)
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:58:16 -0500

From: "MPHS" <MPHS@mineralpointhistory.org>
Subject: Reply Re: Responses on cataloguing photos
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:58:16 -0500

One thing to keep in mind, what we've all been talking about is a way to add information to photos to make it easier to find a particular image of a specific subject. Of course, the original photos are still in their archival boxes or albums in your building, so even if the database itself is lost, the originals are still available.

No matter what organizing system you eventually decide to use, whoever sets it up needs to take the time to write a short description of the system they chose, how to use it, etc and then print and store this short narrative with the photographs. If you decide to go with a web based system, the narrative would include where to find the database on the web.

One of the advantages of WHO is that they use the Wisconsin Historical Society servers and let's all hope the WHS outlasts all of us by several generations. Another advantage is that they provide your organization with a backup copy of the images you post through them. I don't have enough photos online yet to actually have the backup copy (although I'm sure I could request one at any time) so I don't have first hand knowledge of what this looks like, but it is an extra safety feature.

I just took a quick look at Photoshop Elements. I don't use this, myself, but it looks like PE has a pretty good catalog function that allows one to enter text and captions that "ride along" with the images.
 This might be a reasonable solution. PE is readily available, it is cheap (or free with most new cameras or scanners), it is designed for amateur photographers, so should be easy to use, and it claims to have a capacity for 10's of thousands of images. It is not web based -- it is a program installed on your computer -- which has some advantages and some disadvantages.

Other than the original Excel spreadsheet idea, all of the solutions proposed are for digital images, which means that originals that currently exist only as prints have to be scanned before being catalogued.

I'm all in favor of scanning -- it diminishes the wear and tear on an original and, once you get your catalog in place, it makes it easier to find things. It is time consuming, though. It's worth putting some thought into the process before starting so you can make best use of your time, or your volunteers' time.

In the last two years I've scanned way more images than I want to count.
 Briefly, here's what I think are the most important points for anyone just getting started:

-- save the original scan as a TIF image (NOT a jpg)
-- scan everything in color (yes, even the black and white photos)
-- scan at the highest resolution possible
    my baseline is 1200 dpi but if an original is very small, or if it seems to have important details that might need to be seen up close, I'll scan at 2400. High resolutions like these make the scanning time longer and the file size larger. I store everything on external hard drives (MyBook for example). You could probably get by with scanning at 800, or even 600 -- but since scanning probably takes a few years off the life of an original, I'm more comfortable with scanning everything at the higher resolutions so the originals don't have to be rescanned later, if it turns out the lower resolution isn't adequate.
-- turn off all automatic settings on the scanner. You want an archival image that looks as much like the original as possible. Enhancements
(increasing contrast, dust removal, sharpening, etc) can be done later, if needed, with a photo editing program.
-- save the original scan as a "master" image, immediately make a copy and save it as a "service" image. Keep all your "masters" on a separate hard drive and never touch them unless something awful happens to your
"service" files and you need to use them as a backup. Use the "service" images as your working images.
-- use the best scanner you can afford. The MPHS recently upgraded to an Epson V750 Pro (about $700 on Amazon). I had been using a middle of the road Canon which was decent, but the difference in quality with the Epson is noticeable.
-- name the scanned files in some way that corresponds to the original photograph. I've been working with a collection that was catalogued years ago, so I just use those numbers. If your originals don't have file numbers you'll have to come up with some system of naming or numbering them -- which brings us full circle to the original question of the best way to catalog these things!

Good luck!

Nancy Pfotenhauer Mineral Point Historical Society