Re: "tagging" artifacts

Cynthia Arbiture (musprosvc@gdinet.com)
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:11:14 -0500

From: "Cynthia Arbiture" <musprosvc@gdinet.com>
Subject: Re: "tagging" artifacts
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:11:14 -0500

Dear Rita,

When I studied Museum Science as a graduate student at UWM and the Milwaukee Public Museum, we learned that metal pins should never be used to attach artifact tags to textiles. The metal pin, whether it is brass, or plated steel can damage the textile with time. Acid free, archival artifact tags
(with a cotton string attached), can be gently sewn, to a "stable" edge of the textile, using a fine needle and thread that is compatible with the fabric.

You may want to contact a conservator that specializes in textiles, for the marking and storage of extremely fragile textile artifacts. Some of the larger museums in Wisconsin have a conservator on staff. Also the Chicago Conservation Center www.chicagoconservation.com offers a free consultation on many types of artifacts in need of conservation. The CCC makes recommendations for the stabilization and conservation of artifacts to be placed in storage, or to go on exhibit .

Best to you!

Cindy Arbiture Museum Professional Services, Inc. info@musprosvc.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rita Frakes" <rita42@centurytel.net> To: <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:16 AM Subject: RE: "tagging" artifacts

I purchased gesso at an arts supply store. The heavy tags can be purchased through Light Impressions. However they are very costly. I began cutting them from the archival filing folders also from L. Impressions and you get much more for your money that way. The thread or cord should also be archival. I bought heavy cotton string from the hardware store and tested it with a pen, also from L. Impressions. It tested acid free or also archival so was okay to use. I write on those tags with an archival marking pen, also from L. Impressions. I use the small brass safety pins to fasten the tags to textiles.

I order from 3 different companies which sell archival supplies. If you need those addresses let me know. Or Google archival supplies and the companies will probably show up.

Rita, Mazomanie Historical Society

-----Original Message----- From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu]On Behalf Of Jim Laird Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:10 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: "tagging" artifacts

Where do you buy the Jesso? We cut up the postal envelopes that are made of that strong fabric/paper. Very cheap and very strong.

Jim Laird

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marcie Braski" <cen95870@centurytel.net> To: <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 8:13 AM Subject: Re: "tagging" artifacts