Re: Archiving groups of paperwork

Cross, Scott (scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us)
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:23:23 -0600

Subject: FW: Archiving groups of paperwork
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:23:23 -0600
From: "Cross, Scott" <scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us>

Kathy,
  Your question has been forwarded to me. An archival donation from a single source only receives one accession number.
  When cataloging the collection onto PastPerfect, you can assign any number of "Object ID numbers" depending on the "Level of Description" that you want.
  If you go to the Oshkosh Public Museum's "Virtual Exhibit" take a look at the "Joseph Arnold Collection". This is a good example of how to catalog archival collections onto PastPerfect at multiple levels. http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/Virtual/exhibit3/e30001a.htm
  Scott Cross Archivist Oshkosh Public Museum 1331 Algoma Boulevard Oshkosh WI 54901-2799 920-236-5773 scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

From: Christine Cross [mailto:hearthdirector@att.net] Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:16 AM To: Cross, Scott Subject: Fw: Archiving groups of paperwork

.
----- Original Message ----- From: Kathy Laakso <mailto:dchs@douglashistory.org> To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:53 PM Subject: Archiving groups of paperwork

Can anyone answer this question? I don't deal with accessions so I really don't know.
  A volunteer is asking how to accession groups of paper from the same place - do you give each piece of paper an accession number? We have several land deeds, mortgage paperwork and insurance policies that belonged to an insurance company. Does each piece get an accession number and entered into PastPerfect as individual pieces of a collection? Or would it be ok to make the collection of papers one accession? Thanks. Kathy Laakso Douglas County Historical Society Superior