RE: Food at Public Gatherings

Seymour, Janet I - WHS (Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org)
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:54:50 -0600

From: "Seymour, Janet I - WHS" <Janet.Seymour@wisconsinhistory.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:54:50 -0600
Subject: RE: Food at Public Gatherings

List Serve members - this response is from the Director of the WHS Museum i n Madison. I thought I would share her comments with you. Janet

Can the organization get sued if someone gets sick - yep, they can. And so
 can the individuals who prepared and/or served the food - esp. if it can b e proved that there was negligence involved.

Should the event be catered? - I would (and we do) - It does lessen the li ability for the organization - though they may not be entirely off the hook
, if a person is really intent on getting a settlement. At this point it b ecomes a question of possibility and probability. W/ catering, is it possi ble that someone would sue the organization (as opposed to the caterer) if they got sick - yes, it is possible, but what is the probability? The prob ability is small - after all, the caterer will have insurance (and maybe de eper pockets?) so that company would be more likely to be sued than the sma ll historical society/museum, ....

Janet Seymour Field Services Representative - Northern Region Wisconsin Historical Society Voice: 715-836-2250

Collecting, Preserving, and Sharing Stories Since 1846

Review past messages at: http://listserve.uwec.edu/localhistory/

________________________________ From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu [ [localhistory-request@listser ve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Kathy Laakso [dchs@douglashistory.org] Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 2:04 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Food at Public Gatherings

One of our members had a thought and asked me to ask ListServe this questio n:

When a society or museum has an annual meeting, open to the public, and ser ves potluck that is provided by the Board of Directors and someone gets sic k, can the museum or society get in trouble? Should it be catered?
(…oh, the good old days when if someone said the word, sue, they were usu ally addressing a woman...)

Kathy Laakso Douglas County Historical Society