Moving from volunteer museum to paid staff?

Russell Hanson (riverroadrambler@gmail.com)
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:09:32 -0500

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:09:32 -0500
Subject: Moving from volunteer museum to paid staff?
From: Russell Hanson <riverroadrambler@gmail.com>

What experience do you have of moving from an all volunteer museum/history society to hiring a paid staff person?

We have a small museum that has been open very limited hours by volunteers. We see lots of opportunities to do things with the schools, the community, to create displays, write grants etc, but really haven't got volunteers who have the time or sometimes the skills to make them happen. Does hiring a person to work for your museum take you to a higher level of activity that is worth it? If we have funds enough to try it--should we? Have you tried it and been successful or failed?

Thanks Russ Hanson Luck Area Historical Society -- Polk County WI