Fw: May 16 Northland Historical Consortium

Debra DeMuri (dkd@borderlandnet.net)
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:29:37 -0600

From: "Debra DeMuri" <dkd@borderlandnet.net>
Subject: Fw: May 16 Northland Historical Consortium
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 09:29:37 -0600

I'm forwarding this, thinking others may be interested in this presentation. Subject: May 16 Northland Historical Consortium

Greetings:

Please forward this message to your membership, colleagues, and anyone else who may be interested. We are trying to get the widest possible circulation for this announcement.

The Northland Historical Consortium will convene its spring 2009 meeting on Saturday, May 16, 2009, in Iron Mountain.

The meeting will feature a day-long "Collections Stewardship Workshop" at the Iron Mountain campus of Bay College. The event will begin at 7:30 a.m. Central/8:30 a.m. Eastern, will run until 3:00 p.m. Central/4:00 p.m. Eastern, and will include lunch.

The workshop is specifically designed for small and medium-sized museums, and includes sections on collections management, collections policies, collections planning, and collections care issues. Participants will receive instruction on the care and handling of museum objects, planning and policy-making, and will also receive a fairly extensive collections stewardship manual.

The workshop will be presented by Nancy Bryk, director of education at the Ann Arbor Hands On Museum. Nancy is also v.p. for programs with the Michigan Museums Association, and prior to joining the museum in Ann Arbor, served as Interim Director of the curatorial and education staff at The Henry Ford. Ms. Bryk was Curator of Domestic Life at The Henry Ford for over twenty years, specializing in textiles and historic house reinterpretation.

The fee for this day-long workship will be $30.00 per person and will include lunch. I hope you will agree that this is a very affordable fee for a top-notch presentation. Costs for this event are being underwritten with sponsorship from NMU's Beaumier Upper Peninsula Heritage Center and the Michigan Museums Association.

I've attached conference and registration information. Below, I've also appended plain text versions of the same.

PLEASE NOTE: Pre-registration will be required and we must hear from you by Wednesday, May 6, to make adequate preparations for this event.

Don't hesitate to contact me with questions, comments, or other input.

Erik Nordberg Coordinator Northland Historical Consortium

--
Erik Nordberg, University Archivist
MTU Archives and Copper Country Historical Collections

============================================== SCHEDULE 8:30 eastern/7:30 central Registration and coffee

9:00 eastern/8:00 central Morning Session: What is Collections Stewardship? Copies of a collections stewardship manual will be distributed. We’ll open with some introductory remarks about the nature of museum work, the duties of those who work and volunteer for museums, and their responsibilities to their collections. Aspects of record-keeping, labeling, accessionin,g and cataloging will be discussed. The morning session will include several short breaks.

12:00 eastern/11:00 central Lunch (included with registration)

1:00 eatern/12:00 central Afternoon Session: Collections Care, Handling, and Storage The afternoon session will consider planning and policies for collections, including the ethical considerations for an institutional collecting plan. Practical advice will include storage room conditions, how to handle and move objects, and basic safety and preservation techniques. Information about assessment and assistance programs will be discussed and there will be time for questions and discussion. The afternoon session will include several short breaks.

4:00 eastern/3:00 central Conclusion

REGISTRATION

Please postmark registration by Wednesday, May 6, 2009 $30.00 Includes lunch, refreshments, and collections manual

Please provide the following information as you would like it to appear on your name tag.

Name:

Institution:

Mailing address:

City/State/Zip Code:

Daytime Phone:

E-mail address:

Please mail your complete form and include $30.00 check payable to Northland Historical Consortium.

Mail to: Erik Nordberg, MTU Archives, 1400 Townsend Drive, Houghton, MI 49931 Please send a separate form for each attendee, though a single check may is acceptable for groups.

Questions? Call Erik at 906-487-2505 or e-mail to enordber@mtu.edu