RE: Museum visitor sign in log and donation container

Roy Ostenso (dchs@dunnhistory.org)
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:13:52 -0500

From: "Roy Ostenso" <dchs@dunnhistory.org>
Subject: RE: Museum visitor sign in log and donation container
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:13:52 -0500

We use an 10" acrylic cube in our lobby next to the guest book. We had it custom made by Kreative Acrylics , Golden Valley MN 55422, contact: Bruce Krietzman (763) 231-0385.

Roy S. Ostenso, President

Dunn County Historical Society

1820 Wakanda ST

Menomonie, WI 54751

715-232-8685

Mobile:715-505-1110

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Don Jensen Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 11:58 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Museum visitor sign in log and donation container

Donation container -- Transparent, perhaps a fishbowl with slotted cover, or a specially made clear plastic box with slot. Locate near entrance but where it can be easily observed by attendant stationed near door.

Transparent, and prime the donations with a number of $1 bills and a few $5s or more. Visitors need to see that others have and do contribute when they enter, which encourages them to follow suit or feel like a cheapskate. Place a sign to encourage the appropriate donation, such as "Suggested donation: $2 per person, or $5 per family." Include on the sign something like "The XX Museum is supported entirely by donations from visitors like you. We are a not-for-profit civic organization not supported by tax revenues. Your contribution would be greatly appreciated so we may continue to preserve and interpret the history of XX" If you do get some funding from a city, village or country, you can modify the wording to substitute
"largely" for "entirely," and noted that only 5% or 10% or whatever of your revenues come from a grant from the governmental body.

Many people wrongly believe historical museums are already fully supported by tax money.

You want to clearly convey the idea that 1. you need the money and 2. while a donation is not required it is the right thing to do and that most other people do contribute.and they SHOULD TOO. The subtle sense of a donation being expected from a conscientious citizen should be conveyed by the sign.

-Don Jensen