RE: Funding & a Display case

Sauk County Historical Society (history@saukcounty.com)
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:10:59 -0500

From: "Sauk County Historical Society" <history@saukcounty.com>
Subject: RE: Funding & a Display case
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:10:59 -0500

Monette

Take a look at UW SWAP (Surplus with a purpose) website and see what they have. They often have display cases, map cases, file cabinets and more, either on their online auction site or listed as current inventory. The inventory changes every day so it pays to check the website often. It doesn't hurt to call them and just introduce yourself and explain what you need. Sometimes things have come in and aren't on the website yet, or they know of something coming in soon and can give you an idea of when to check back. I just checked and there are some glass front cabinets, but they often have more display type ones available. The problem is most of this stuff is near Madison or Milwaukee so a road trip is necessary. But if you're coming through let us know!

Mary Farrell Stieve

Sauk County Historical Society

531 Fourth Avenue

P.O. Box 651

Baraboo WI 53913

608-356-1001

history@saukcountyhistory.org

www.saukcountyhistory.org

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Seymour, Janet I Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 12:30 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: FW: Funding & a Display case

From: Monette Bebow-Reinhard [mailto:grimm1@bayland.net] Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 12:22 PM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: RE: Funding, Grants & a Display case

The Archaic Copper Museum is funded both city and state - the DNR owns the site, but they do not contribute to the operation of the museum, so the city and the Oconto County Historical Society do. I'm looking for other sources, grants, etc., and we do have a membership.

I put out a newsletter and one member, for instance, has offered to pay for the museum display case we need. Does anyone know where to get a good quality used lockable display case - I've been looking to no available, and am open to about anything under $500 right now. We are starting to take in a collection of copper spear points I want to put on display.

Monette

From: localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu
[mailto:localhistory-request@listserve.uwec.edu] On Behalf Of Kathleen Hart Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 11:21 AM To: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu Subject: Re: Funding

Kathy, next time put Historical Society in the subject. I almost deleted you because I

was not familiar with your name. Kathleen -Greendale Historical Society

Some societies get subsidized by the community they live in. If you can work it out

that is ideal. We do not get subsidized. We have membership dues and sell notecards

and mugs and other items. We are putting together a calendar to sell for 2010 but we

have events here where we can sell them; a farmer's market, Village Days, Hay Days,

Dickens Christmas. We have a tour of homes in September which brings in a few

hundred $. We are writing grants for a special project to readapt our original police

and fire station buildings. Our operating expenses are minimal. We have a room that

we work out of in the basement of the library with no rent. We use their phone line.

So other than paper, printing, mailings etc., we have no expenses. I would try to convince

the local government that it would be worthwhile to allot a few hundred per month to your

efforts. Good luck. Kathleen

  _____

From: Kathy Laakso <kathyl@douglashistory.org> To: ListServe <localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu> Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 11:10:37 AM Subject: Funding

We're interested in knowing how other historical societies are funded, whether private, county or city or mixture of them. Can you help us out?

Thanks.

Kathy Laakso

Douglas County Historical Society

Superior, WI